Farlowella species?

redracer77

• 1 month later...

So on that subject, HFF Albany had one in today - any tips for caring for them?

We have a 450L with other "boisterous" fish and have read they're slow eaters - we can provide extra wafers throughout the day in different places of the tank, and can provide zucchini which the fish graze on - can someone tell be if it is a /definite/ "no it won't work whatsoever" and whether I have to put it in one of my tanks (dad will be devastated but if rather it survived!)?

Sites say that the Acus is critically endangered and that most sold are vittata, so am I right in thinking it's probably vittata? I'm on my phone so struggling to find definitive differences between the two

Edit: the vittata appear to have a longer nose, and both lots I've seen appear to be vittata. I'll get a pic of ours and the ones I saw a while back :thup:

Any idea as to whether they prefer groups or to be solitary (outside of breeding)?

It is definitely Farlowella sp. - Twig Catfish :)

I knew it was but was looking for a bit more specific :P Wasn't sure whether they could help others in figuring out what species are available in NZ - I've assumed they're both F Vittata.

I was under the impression that the "nose" was a lot shorter on acus?

"Although often sold as the closely related F. acus (a species that is highly endangered and imported very rarely, if at all), F. vittata is the most common representative of the genus in hobbyists’ tanks. The easiest way to distinguish the two is by comparing the shape of the rostrum, which is longer and more slender in vittata"

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/fa ... a-vittata/

Edit: the HFF lot I would say are not acus as acus apparently only get to 16cm, which these guys exceeded (Vittata apparently 22cm?)

I didn't say they are F. acus, I said they are in the Farlowella acus group.

seriouslyfish.com is ok source but I prefer to read systematics and taxonomy if possible :)

COMPARISONS.

This specics closely resembles F. vittata and is distinguished from it by having in the adult male a shorter snout-mouth length relative to interorbital width, and breeding odontodes on the preorbital ridge. The ratio of snout-mouth to interorbital width for adult male F. acus is 1.3-1.8, and for adult male F. vittata is 1.9-3.1. Pigmented stripes in the caudal fin are more obscured by clear ocelli in F. acus.

So imagine F. acus with rostrum ratio 1.8 and F. vittata with rostrum 1.9. Almost identical to naked eye :)