Will my tank cycle again after filter leaked?

aaron11

Hi fishie ppl

My cat landed on my external filter hoses and broke the taps! she cant help it she is 15 ! what a mess 80 litres of water on the floor that should of been in the tank and the heater burst, lucky my fish was ok and I have old wooden floors so no damage to anything.

(ps filter hoses out of her way i hope I cant fit the filter in my cabinet)

a few questions

Will my tank recycle as I had to use another filter for a few days.

Is this a common problem with externals are they prone to leak would i be better off with inside filters like before? i have a lot of fish so I need good filteration, also my fish are so much more happy with the external running

Thanks in advance

were you able to use the same media from the filter before it got dried out or left too long without oxygen?

Your tank should bounce back soon if you were able to use any viable media at all.

Last year my filter intake got blocked (due to a fish taking a dislike to a new fish and in the process of chasing it all night it disturbed lots of plants which clogged up the intake!) .. anyway, by the time I realised my filter media was not getting water flow, I already had low ammonia levels.. My tank had to recycle with a full bioload - it literally took months before I got zero reading again but the readings never actually got to high toxic levels so I'm not sure of it was a full recycle .. or lots of mini cycles that i was prolonging with frequent water changes.

Out of frustration I bought some JBL filter start and my tank soon after came right. People have differing opinions on filter bacteria additives but I've always used JBL filter start with good results when starting up a tank and when salvaging a crashed tank.

were you able to use the same media from the filter before it got dried out or left too long without oxygen?

Your tank should bounce back soon if you were able to use any viable media at all.

Last year my filter intake got blocked (due to a fish taking a dislike to a new fish and in the process of chasing it all night it disturbed lots of plants which clogged up the intake!) .. anyway, by the time I realised my filter media was not getting water flow, I already had low ammonia levels.. My tank had to recycle with a full bioload - it literally took months before I got zero reading again but the readings never actually got to high toxic levels so I'm not sure of it was a full recycle .. or lots of mini cycles that i was prolonging with frequent water changes.

Out of frustration I bought some JBL filter start and my tank soon after came right. People have differing opinions on filter bacteria additives but I've always used JBL filter start with good results when starting up a tank and when salvaging a crashed tank.

Hi thanks no in the panic I just used an old filter that hadn't been cleaned

And when I reset up the external one I cleaned the wool in tank water as it was dirty as the water in it was brown

So it must be doin its job !

I had one dead guppy the rest of the fish are ok, I think he might of got electrocuted when the heater broke

Do i need to water change or just wait and hope for the best? my tank is heavly stocked I would hate to loose fish

thank you

If the tank is heavily stocked then I would be doing water changes and not just hope for the best.

Have you got a test kit? Using one will tell you, quickly and simply, if, and when, a water change is required.

Hi thank you how often do you suggest

The tank was set up for ages i have 6 albino cats and about 30 guppies in there but a cf1200 filter so its got good filteration

I will buy a test kitt when I can got other things to pay for at the moment but its on my fish list

if you don't have an ammonia test kit then I would be going ahead with extra water changes anyway to be on the safe side.

Get a kit when you can because its the best way to know if the tank has cycled or still cycling.

You can also add some salt because if the tank has to cycle over again it may get high nitrite readings and the salt will help protect the fish from that. Guppies tolerate salt well, not sure about albino cats so check that out first but I add salt to my tank that has plecos , oto cats, kuhli loaches and a rainbow shark.

if you don't have an ammonia test kit then I would be going ahead with extra water changes anyway to be on the safe side.

Get a kit when you can because its the best way to know if the tank has cycled or still cycling.

You can also add some salt because if the tank has to cycle over again it may get high nitrite readings and the salt will help protect the fish from that. Guppies tolerate salt well, not sure about albino cats so check that out first but I add salt to my tank that has plecos , oto cats, kuhli loaches and a rainbow shark.

Hi thanks, I will if i go too the pet shop for anything before I can afford a kitt ill get them to check my water

do they still do that for free???

Im just building up my tanks etc again new filters, few heaters and lights are next, all my stuff wore out lol :lar: :rolfl:

If that filter was a used one that had been used continually when you added it (and not sat on an empty tank before adding it to the damaged tank) you should be fine but a 20% daily water change would not go amiss.

Keep a close eye on the fish for any change in behaviour - gasping at the surface, listlessness, clamped fins etc.

If that filter was a used one that had been used continually when you added it (and not sat on an empty tank before adding it to the damaged tank) you should be fine but a 20% daily water change would not go amiss.

Keep a close eye on the fish for any change in behaviour - gasping at the surface, listlessness, clamped fins etc.

The spare filter was in daily use then I changed it to the external, and it would of dried out in the bucket then when it leaked i put it back

I should of left it in there,

ill change water daily for how long?

Its easy when you can just put the spray bar out the window like adrienne told me !!!!

Then I would be doing 30 - 40% water changes daily. How long you do these depends on cycling, which is why I suggested a test kit.

I may have read it wrong but I gather it was the filter media in current use at the time the cat created the problem, that you say dried out in the bucket?

Or did you mean the old filter had media that had dried out?

Did you have any used media that had not dried out? If so, that is what should be in the filter now being used. If you have, you should be fine. If you haven't then the tank will have to cycle again.

This is why it pays not to overstock, or if you do, make sure you have contingencies in place for when trouble arises.

Then I would be doing 30 - 40% water changes daily. How long you do these depends on cycling, which is why I suggested a test kit.

I may have read it wrong but I gather it was the filter media in current use at the time the cat created the problem, that you say dried out in the bucket?

Or did you mean the old filter had media that had dried out?

Did you have any used media that had not dried out? If so, that is what should be in the filter now being used. If you have, you should be fine. If you haven't then the tank will have to cycle again.

This is why it pays not to overstock, or if you do, make sure you have contingencies in place for when trouble arises.

Hi Caryl thanks, I will explain again sorry, and Adrienne saw my tank and said what was in it, is going to be fine with the external filter

The tank was fully set up for a long time then I changed to an external filter, I ran the old filters also

The cat broke the external filter, so I had to use the old one one but that had dried out

I used that for a few days until I got the new parts for the filter

I tiped the water out of the external and changed rinsed the pads in tank water

So its all going now, and i did a good change today, I will keep doing them

And Im buying a test kitt when I can afford it

Ive seen people with 100s of guppies in 2 foot tanks honestly one guy I know dont even use filters and he has no problem.

The type of fish makes a big difference to the bioload. 100 guppies will produce a lot less waste than 100 small plecs and the bigger the fish the bigger the poo.

Oh right thank you so much

Ive will do some reading on line, I was told with an external filter you can keep more fish

My water is crystal clear but that dont mean no ammonia aye, Ive done water changes for 3 days

How long do I have to keep doing them?

Test kitt is coming just getting my car fixed this week so will have to wait a week or two cheers :slfg:

There's no way of telling without testing the water.

Cool thanks ive never owned a test kitt in the 20 years of keeping fish

Ive only had one disaster where I got ammonia due to a not very good filter and maybe over feeding so not bad aye !!!!

I just changed water again its so easy with the external

I don't use test kits either but I have never had a problem like yours so they weren't needed.

Hi thanks I never knew what a test kitt was until I came on here, Ive had ammonia test kits in the past

But now I have lots of fish I will get one

Do i still need to keep changing my water??

im just doing one again now :bggrn:

Without knowing what your test readings are I have no idea!

Ok well i think now is long enough the tank was set up for ages !

I cant test water as I cant afford a kitt at the moment thank you so much for your help

I will call the pet store and ask if they still test water the fish are very happy !

If the fish are happy you might be fine then. Keep a very close eye on them though for the next week or so.

Will do and test kitt coming asap !!!!

I lost my gravel cleaner so just got one of them today.

Fish get lots of love and yummy treats lol :lar: :lar: :lar:

Hi thanks for that will do that also

I cant recall BUT i do think the filter was still wet when I cleaned it after the cat broke the hoses

I rinsed the stuff in tank water so the media would of still been wet when I changed it

I wont over feed its very hard to know what to feed and what not too.

As fishes are greedy and want more