Dropsy - dosage rate for epsom salts please?

Rouseabout

Hi

I have a couple of tetras showing definite symptoms of dropsy. Saw various posts last night on this forum but was too late at night to do more.

Will remove affected fish when I get home tonight and want to treat tank with epsom salts as well.

What dosage regime should I use in a 240L tank?

Don't have a quarantine tank. There are tetras plus 4 BN And a pair of discus in the tank. :cry1:

If it eases your mind at all, I once had a danio with dropsy, only one, and it never infected the other fish. By the time I noticed it the pinecone effect was very obvious and it actually died before I got it out of the tank. None of the other fish ever got it and I suspect that one danio had other health problems that led to the dropsy rather than it being an overall water conditions fault.

That is the problem with dropsy. It is only the signs that arise from water retention caused by kidney problems. These problems may be very infectious or not at all and can be from a number of causes. By the time you spot the pine coning it is very advanced. Curring the cause is then just hit and miss and I can't see the point in treating fish when you have no idea what you are treating them for.

• 3 weeks later...

that's good news.

Dropsy can be caused by different things. I've only ever had one fish at a time with dropsy indicating it was never a transmittable disease in my tank but rather to do with the fish itself. , they were all older fish towards the end of their life... and one greedy betta who ate too many bloodworms (the frozen type)!