Female Honey Gourami + Thicklipped Variety?

alexyay

How common would you say female honey gourami (Trichogaster chuna, not thicklipped) are and how available are they?

I had thought that the one I "babysat" was a female as it showed no black/blue/pointed fin, but it was bright yellow. Can someone confirm for me whether the females of this species are always grey or whether they can show colour just as well as the males?

I've been looking for reds of this species for a while, went and saw three in Kiwipetz advertised as reds. However all three were pretty grey and not nearly as colourful as the yellows in the other tank. I had thought that they simply weren't showing colour with no females available, but looking at it now it definitely looks female (not sure whether actually red or yellow) - dark stripe, grey, etc. I had thought they were males as I didn't know females displayed the blue-tinge on their anal fin, and they had slightly pointed dorsals.

Anywho, I was just wondering how readily available they were. If they were all female I wish I had gotten the other two ><

How common are red strains?

Has anyone ever seen the "wild strain" of thicklipped gourami available? Seeing as I have most likely lost my male (what a failed first breeding attempt - I feel so guilty) I had been wanting a wild-strain type for a while, but figured females would be more difficult to find. Now that I might be missing a male it might be a bit easier to find one. However I'll most likely breed it to my red-strain girl so someone let me know if this is a major no-no.