Aquanano 40 Reef Log

Morcs

Might be worthwhile running a high k energy saving bulb (ie 6500k) for some hours each day, until your new light gets here.

Will promote some algae growth but it will help de-stress your corals.

It will get sunlight for a few hours if I open the drapes near it, corals open when only getting ambient light, if they stress too much will get a cheap desk lamp on it

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for a decent update with pics!

Coralbox M1-30 arrived today. Got in set on lower settings to acclimatise corals.

9 different timer settings so got it ramping up and down including some night time lighting.

Have no idea what the different season timings and settings do, might email eric at fishstreet and ask.

Apologies for the average pictures! the colours dont show very well in them.

IMG_20140512_184706.jpg

IMG_20140512_202324.jpg

IMG_20140512_202248.jpg

IMG_20140512_202317.jpg

IMG_20140512_202410.jpg

Livestock currently:

Pair occerlaris clowns

Coral banded shrimp

Hairy mushroom

Frogspawn

Neon candy cane

Blue Cespitularia

Xenia

Zoanthids

assorted palys

The season settings are just different light intensities and length of running time to simulate the natural seasons. I have written them all down so I can see what I want to use and when. I just use the custom feature and set my own light hours and intensities. mine ramp up to 70% for 4 hours then down again to moon lighting.

Upped the power (70%) during 'peak' hours, and everything is responding well.

This is at 50% full spectrum

IMG_20140517_193423.jpg

Having some minor diatom outbreaks on my sand, cant figure out why. Im debating whether i should be stirring up the sand regularly or not touching it at all. No skimmer isnt helping with things, and larger water changes arent doing much for anything...

IMG_20140517_193307.jpg

Side shot. I love the Blue Anthillia, beautiful softy!

IMG_20140517_193354.jpg

Tiny GSP frag which im hoping spreads like wildfire. Moved my original xenia frag rock from up high to low down (it overspilled onto surrounding rock and is spreading...oh-oh)

IMG_20140517_193323.jpg

Frogspawn, neon candy cane (still only has 2 heads) and the spreading xenia

IMG_20140517_193333.jpg

Fragged some palythoa heads and hoping to cover this rock with them - mixture of pink, green and yellow (yellows are ugly though)

IMG_20140517_193315.jpg

IMG_20140517_193408.jpg

Looking good dude!

Regarding the sand - I recently removed all the sand out of my tank and other than a bit of algae growing on the glass it's pretty much disappeared within a couple of weeks, I only had a shallow sand bed and never worried about vacuuming it, in hindsight I think this is what led to my gha issues. So I recommend giving it a stir/vacuum with every water change or running bare bottom.

Those yellow star polyps will spread much faster and cover most of that rock before the other zoas a and palys can double in size. Looking good tho

Yeah next time I've got my hands in there I'll probably move them around the back slightly then they can spread however much they like!

Looking good dude!

Regarding the sand - I recently removed all the sand out of my tank and other than a bit of algae growing on the glass it's pretty much disappeared within a couple of weeks, I only had a shallow sand bed and never worried about vacuuming it, in hindsight I think this is what led to my gha issues. So I recommend giving it a stir/vacuum with every water change or running bare bottom.

Yeah the longer you leave it, then if you stir it up im guessing would cause problems.

Ill give mine a good stir up and siphone at water change time and change my floss when its caught all the crap :)

Got a package to pickup from the courier depot this arvo, hopefully its my skimmer :)

My Bubble Magus Nano QQ has finally arrived.

Its a big unit for the tank size, but damn it was hard to fit into the 1st chamber.

For anyone thinking of doing this, i had to:

>File a few mm off the bottom white ring of the skimmer body

>Gently snap off a bracket that supports the outlet tube (isnt needed)

>Shave one side of the outlet sponge down so it sits flat against glass

>Ditch the inlet strainer.

Then a bit of swearing etc.. whilst you wiggle it into position.

IMG_20140519_165516.jpg

IMG_20140519_183306.jpg

IMG_20140519_183337.jpg

IMG_20140519_183321.jpg

My Bubble Magus Nano QQ has finally arrived.

Its a big unit for the tank size, but damn it was hard to fit into the 1st chamber.

For anyone thinking of doing this, i had to:

>File a few mm off the bottom white ring of the skimmer body

>Gently snap off a bracket that supports the outlet tube (isnt needed)

>Shave one side of the outlet sponge down so it sits flat against glass

>Ditch the inlet strainer.

Then a bit of swearing etc.. whilst you wiggle it into position.

Awesome man looks pretty snazzy! hopefully it does a good skim compared to the mega cheapys! :thup:

Awesome man looks pretty snazzy! hopefully it does a good skim compared to the mega cheapys! :thup:

The skim is already looking good, ill post up a mandatory skim pic when its bedded in fully.

And this thing was only about hundred bucks, AND oversized for the tank so quite happy :)

Got a fair bit of GHA appearing, possibly from starting to stir up my sandbed recently and running without a skimmer,

I've taken the following steps, is there anything else I should do?

10% WC every 3 or 4 days

Siphoning shallow sand bed at each WC

Cut lights to 5 hours at 50% power

Running skimmer slightly wet

Stopped dosing trace elements

Replaced purigen and phosgard

Increased flow power

I'm not sure about those skimmers but with my tunze I know lifting it a bit higher in the chamber is supposed to work.

Yeah thought about that, but wouldnt i have to open up the water outlet more to bring the water level up in the chamber, therefore increase the water/air ratio = wetter skim?

Its collecting some really thick **** in the neck as you can see, but it doesnt make it into the cup

So tank is always looking like this about halfway through the week (between weekly cleaning) - Still diatoms :(

IMG_20140527_190324.jpg

The Bubble Magus is tuned in now and producing good skim

IMG_20140527_190315.jpg

Got a nice 3 headed torch last weekend. Polyps are short and stubby but apparently this means its happy?

IMG_20140527_190236.jpg

Candy cane not looking too happy after chopping if off its frag plug and attaching to rock

IMG_20140527_190246.jpg

Wee GSP frag growing nicely

IMG_20140527_190252.jpg

Hairy mushroom looking unhappy after moving onto another piece of rock. Should bounce back.

IMG_20140527_190257.jpg

Anyone able to ID this algae? Its brown, hard spots and not slimy.

IMG_20140527_190227.jpg

looking good man, cant wait till my rock is that color purple! hope it hurrys up patience is such a tricky thing. Cool about the skimmer being more effective now :)

Rock isn't even purple, just lighting. Its all kinda brown with some purple and brown bits.

Diatoms are starting to get me down though, can't get them to stay away

Rock isn't even purple, just lighting. Its all kinda brown with some purple and brown bits.

Diatoms are starting to get me down though, can't get them to stay away

the diatoms should go away at some stage. there quite common for new tanks. usually takes a couple months for everything to settle and diatoms to disappear from my experience

Watch out for that star polyp growth, soon enough it will start taking over everything.

I'll try and keep it isolated on the piece of rock its on, grow it like a moss ball!

Just ordered a load of chemi pure elite to help with algae, phosgaurd doesn't seem t do much despite regular changes and overdosing