HELP what can i put in with convicts

Travis & Vicki

well the cons have an even bigger batch of little criminals this spawn, today was the first time they have been out of hiding, has to be hundreds of the little buggers :)

maximum security is a 1200-450-450 tank, it looks very empty with just the pair of cons in it, i have a sailfin plec in there , but he will be moved to the community cichlid tank once there is some algee growth and it has aged a little.

What will suvive in there with the cons, i really need some help on this one

:-? :-? :-? :-?

rocks!

my lung fish would like them :wink: i mean would look nice in the tank but will look very very empty with just him in the tank.

what fish do you like?

you could put in fire mouths, oscars, fire eels, just to name a few

Jewels seem to survive just fine with my convicts... oscars certainly aren't troubled by them - although if the oscars are medium sized they may get annoyed at the harrassment the breeding con's dish out and decide to retaliate (been there, done that :/)

Its hard to put anything in there. :-? Convicts are great breeders & care deeply about their young. Anything that goes in there will be stuck at one end of the tank, anything big enough to handle the pressure, taking in mind they can beat up cichlids 3 times there size, well could end up eating one of the parents.

I remember the day I called into a mates place, looked into the 4 footer, hey Ben the managuensis has something in its mouth, all I can see is the tail. The female convict annouyed the jaguar(managuensis) to the point where he said lunch.

I have tried Salvinis, Festaes...I gave up, :lol: the convict pair have their own 30inch tank. :roll:

Frenchy :D

Thats still not big enough to keep a pair of cons with other fish. I've heard or a pair of adult cons claiming 4' of a 6' tank for their territory, and there tankmates included a blackbelt cichlid, oscar and a jack dempsy, all adults!!

If you want to keep breeding the cons then find a cheap 3' tank for them and put a mix of other fish in the 4'.