Low tech carpeting Plants?

M@.

I have had some success with Glosso and Dwarf Hairgrass in my tanks, but they supposedly need a hightech setup to do well

I was wondering if there are any alternatives that might be more suited to a lowtech setup? I assume just mosses?

My christmas moss did OK when it was close to the lights, I think to get it to stay flat like that you'd either have to be always trimming it, or he has brighter lights.

Mine always tried to grow up in a straight line.

Dwarf chain sword or echinodorus tenellus tenellus was the best plant I had for making a grass on the bottom, but only did well when it wasn't crowded by other plants over the top.

I think to get it to stay flat like that you'd either have to be always trimming it, or he has brighter lights.

Lower light = slower more compact growth

Higher light = fast reaching growth

You need to have the right balance of CO2 and light to get it to grow healthily, trimming it helps a lot too.

Thanks Guys!

Yea, I thought Xmas Moss might be good, trying to get ahold of some if you still have any?

I like the look of 'echinodorus tenellus tenellus', but I had the same issue with my hairgrass - it started to slow down and almost die back once the other plants got up and shaded it a bit

Hydrocotyle verticillata might be OK. It will stay short in low light but will grow tall in strong light. Might have to try a bit and see how it grows in your setup. Hairgrass and E. tenellus tenellus both need good light. Sagittaria microfolia might be OK as well but will also grow taller in good light---try and see is the best bet.

Lower light = slower more compact growth

Higher light = fast reaching growth

Like I say, my experience was opposite to that, the less light it had, the spindlier and straighter it grew. When it was in good light it relaxed horizontally and grew tendrils. I don't think it's that much of a reliable 'carpet' plant, you'd have to try it out and see how it performed in each situation.

Barnacle has the nicest christmas moss, I'd like to know what lighting he had. I think it was a low tech tank.