L270 conversion?

lambo

Hi,

I'm slowly selling all of my fish stock off as I'm going to change to a Lake Tang set up.

What I'd like to know is if it is possible to slowly acclimatise L270s to survive in this set up.

I'd rather keep them if I could, but would be prepared to sell them if its too risky.

Cheers

Why? Fine if you're just keeping fish from lake Tanganyika, but if you want to add fish from a soft water environment it makes more sense to compromise. Your trophs won't die if they don't have pH9 and sky high hardness. The upper end of the ideal temps for the tropheus is around the lower end of ideal for the hypancistrus too.

I don't think you can ever undo years of evolution (or creation, if you prefer) simply by gradual acclimatisation. All fish will tolerate a range of conditions outside of what they would naturally encounter, the question is how far does that range stretch before the fish start to suffer. With wild caught altum angelfish that range would be fairly small, but with captive bred convicts it would be huge. Slow acclimatisation might allow you to get the fish to survive short-term in a far wider range of conditions, but I believe it will not change the long-term effects of such conditions and how they affect things like osmoregulation. It is one thing for a fish to appear alive and "happy", but long-term effects of incorrect housing may take years to manifest.