Breeding Dwarf gourami

Fishy1

Hi guys,

I have been lucky enough to aquire a breeding pair of red coral dwarf gourami. While im am schooled on most topics breeding isn't one of them. Does anyone have personal experience of successfully breeding these fish? If so id love to know about there experience on these lovely fish. They have bred before but never had any fry. From what I understand it is a difficult fish to breed. Any advice tips dos don't would be greatly appreciated. Not after facts just experience.

Thanks Guys

From experience they are not easy to breed unless you have a fish house with warm moist air and lots of very small live food. I used an old blood transfusion setup to continually feed green water until they were big enough to get on to larger livefood in conjunction with green water. It is not easy to get healthy breeding stock either. That is why a lot of importers don't touch them. Not one of the easiest fish for a beginner.

keep the tank water level down a bit to give a good air gap at the top and with a good fitting lid will help to keep a zone of warm humid air. a good supply of green water is a must for the fry untill they're big enough to eat vinegar eels or BBS. A bit of ricia floating on top is good to help hold the nest together. Have a hiding place for the female and make sure you remove her after spawning.

You will need a number of growout tanks if you want to get a lot through. Like most gouramis they grow at considerably different rates and only the largest survive if you don't seperate them by size in order to give the smaller ones a chance to survive and catch up. I also used to keep small pilot lights going at night in order for them to feed 24/7 if they wish. Not a bright light, 12 volt actually.

If you purchased them as a breeding pair they should have had fry or do you mean they have had eggs but no fry for you? Females will produce eggs that won't hatch so be certain you have a male and female. They are similar to fighters when it comes to breeding so make sure you have plenty of floating plants in the tank for the eggs to be blown into.

I definatly have a pair female plain and male not I also have many other males red coral and cobalt. these two have bred but fry not successful. male to female ratio what is best? im planning on just the pair but is it more worth while with a couple more males in?

I was quite successful with these a few years ago. Basically treat them like fighting fish in terms of breeding.

When I had fry I raised them with gladwrap over the tank for the first 2 weeks to keep the air above the water really humid, think they have problems developing their labyrinth organ otherwise. First two weeks micro worms and green water then brine shrimp worked fine.

I think the main reason people don't breed them more often is lack of females imported ?

I was quite successful with these a few years ago. Basically treat them like fighting fish in terms of breeding.

When I had fry I raised them with gladwrap over the tank for the first 2 weeks to keep the air above the water really humid, think they have problems developing their labyrinth organ otherwise. First two weeks micro worms and green water then brine shrimp worked fine.

I think the main reason people don't breed them more often is lack of females imported ?

I think that yes its mostly males or when females do come in then thats all there are - not often a mix of both sexes. Females don't sell well because they are so plain.