Apparently, these go on sale in about 6 months.

Ira

I've never thought of guppies, bettas, etc as being unethical. But they're basically the same thing. Only difference is that the guppies and bettas have been significantly modified through breeding while those fish only produce a tiny amount of an extra protein.

That is a predicatable, dodgy, old argument.

There is a large step between selective breeding (i.e. making use of the genetic information/variation that is held in the genome of a said species) and the inputting of novel genes from other species (in this case a species of jellyfish) into the genome of another species.

Fair enough.

Just thought I'd add that some selective breeding is also somewhat unethical. The breeding of Canis familiaris, the domestic dog comes to mind. While most dogs do just fine, some breeds such as the British Bulldog are sometimes shaped such that they cannot copulate without human intervention. All the breeds with pushed in noses that have breathing problems also spring to mind.

Just saying that I don't think selective breeding is always good either.

The way I see it, if the end result isn't cruel, then fine. I don't consider a glow in the dark fish to be cruel. Only disadvantage to the fish I can think of is it would need to eat more. Well...And maybe worse night vision if its eyes are glowing.:) It's not even really anything new, there are hundreds, maybe thousands of bioluminescent saltwater fish.

Naturally bioluminescent fish evolved such mechanisms for prey capture and communication. Thus it is an integral part of their being. They also can turn their luminescence on and off at will. Most such fish are either nocturnal or exist in the deep sea thus use their luminescence in a dark environment. To impose such a mechanism on a fish that is largely diurnal and has no use for it, IMO, is cruel.

Just because we think the fish will not be suffering means nothing as we perceive the world in a different way to them.

Folks,

I just think they're ugly. But then I think that about most

critters and plants that have been modified to suit (some)

people. I generally find this to be true whether it's a hybrid

or the result of a selective breeding program or whatever.

But it's a personal call, chances are you're not going to

change someones mind by ranting at them (not suggesting

anyone is doing that here).

The best course of action, if you don't like them, is to

refuse to have them in your tanks. If the market goes

away, so will the fish...

Andrew.

• 3 weeks later...

i think they are hybrids and it is not supported by aquarists, scientist (i don't know why) have created these fish. There was an article on this in Australia and they warned everyone that if this fish was to be released in our water ways then there would be a very very large threat and increase in population of this fish.

lets just hope no one releases them.

Thier chance of survival as a feral population would be zero. Wild medakas (green rice fish) never did and they have been in the hobby here before my time (60 years), the gold variants have even less chance, and a minnow that glows in the dark would ba an easy target for predators.

They would make excellent live bait for night fishing tho Hey !!