another bba post

randomsam1001

It is all over our back wall (internal jewel background). I was thinking about buying a blackline flying fox or double dosing flourish excel to get rid of the established parts as I have heard the blackline flying fox will only eat the smaller less established parts. Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Tank is 200L with eheim professional suited to 250L.

Thanks Sam.

You can double the flourish excel for a few days and then go back to the normal daily dose but this does depend on the type of fish and plants you have in the tank. Fish ie discus don't tolerate double dosing, Plants i.e. val don't appreciate excel and will not tolerate the double dose.

You can also use a syringe (from chemist or lfs) and squirt excel directly on to the worst affected areas which also helps eradicate the worst areas until the normal dosing takes effect.

SAE aka blackline flying fox do eat the new growth as you have heard.

I personally would be tempted to try the syringe - you can cover a reasonable area with a small amount this way and it is a concentrated dose.

I think you're spot on in your plans - double dose maybe for a few days, otherwise syringe any future Excel straight into the plants/wall/etc. It's easily scraped off with a razor (or even fingernails if you can be bothered enough). Our SAEs did a really good job eating BBA (only new tufts and they'd also eat any tufts we broke off - they had a feast when it was all cleaned off for them! It prevents any landing on other objects and just growing there instead), and they're probably one of my favourite additions to the tank.