I need some more advice, fish slowly decreasing

morfin

Hi. 300l tank, 8 weeks old. 3 rummies, 24 neons, 9 sterbai cories, 5 bristles. Last night one cory died, yesterday and th day before one rummy each, and the day before a neon. Prior to that, an issue with angels hunting had led me to lose 4 neons and 1 rummy however no bodies found so assumption of them being dinner was made. Last week 3 rummies. Only one fish has had anything outside, but possible he was bitten by the angels as it was the day after they were removed. The fish look fine, then will pass. Checked the cory that died and seriously there was nothing outside, and did an autopsy but nothing obvious there either (not that I'm an expert). But my brown bristles now seem to have lighter patches on their dark brown. It's not whitespot, it looks almost smudged, I had seen something similar before when they were growing but now I'm not sure. Yes I could be paranoid. I have spent hours staring at them and sometimes they don't look different, other times they do, will try to post pics. There is no fluffiness or anything standing off their skin. Am 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5. Ph7, kh and gh2. Lost first three rummies when melafix in tank,lost last one day I put flourish in. Cory and neon no idea. Any ideas and am starting together very sad ........

Hi Sophie, yes brand new, tank was cycled with 20 neons and then two weeks later the harlequins, no ammonia for last five weeks, and I test every day. I do 20% water change every second day and yes brand new filter medium. Tank was stocked slowly after cycling with 5-10 fish per week. The rummies went in three weeks ago, the bristles all went in as small babies about four weeks ago. No ammonia since these guys in, this is my second tank so completely aware of cycling etc.

Very odd. You could try turning the lights off and shining a torch on the fish, see if you can see a sort of gold dust on them, I believe that is the easiest way to spot velvet.

At this point without any evidence of sickness other than fish dying, I wouldn't want to suggest a treatment. Someone else may have a better idea. I've had weird illnesses with my minifish before and after various treatments in the end I took the tank down and sterilised what I could and started again, but that's a pretty drastic thing to do, last resort.

It could have been a batch of fish that were stressed in transit and didn't recover before the mystery ailment set in.

sorry I can't be of more help :tears:

Tis all good, thanks for it anyway. I've been leaning towards accepting that I might just not have the strongest. Touch wood but the last three rummies are glowing nicely, the neons look good and the harlequins are crazy. Did some more research online And it is normal for bristles to do that, sometimes they change depending on mood or substrate nd mine is white. I'm just going to try to relax and enjoy my tank. It is a beautiful set up so I might just keep an eye out and get over myself. :wink: