Suitable filters for fighter tank?

Nic G

I have my new boy in my AR128 tank as a feature in the lounge. Only thing is that now he's in there I'm thinking the current from the filter might be too strong for him?? Probably should have thought about it earlier and put and undergravel filter in instead, but I was wonder about getting a small internal filter instead of using the built in filter that it making quite a bit of current?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheapish alternative, or do you think he'll be fine as-is?

He does have a rock cave he can go into and behind the powerhead is also calm, but I'd like to see him out and about. He does seem happy, but I don't want that to change, so suggestions greatly appreciated!! :-)

AR128 has the filter that trickles in from above?

If so then whether or not another filter will be better really depends on the tail type your fighter has i.e. long tail/hm/ct or plakat.

My experience with the tanks with overhead filters and fighters with long tails has been that (if there is a power head and quite a bit of current and water movement due to the overhead trickle) the fish does either hide or has a much shortened life span due to the need to fight to hold its body and fins upright.

Either an undergravel or a sponge filter will work better - under gravel while more fiddly to put in that sort of tank will maintain your tank best or a very low powered internal filter.

Plakats will be fine with more water movement.

I think I have one of these tanks, the 34L version one. My fighter didnt like it and kept getting blown around. So I put a flow restrictor in the spray pipe thing (where it sprays over the filter media). It has slowed the force of the water that comes out into a little trickle instead of the full force jets that it used to do. Hes much happier with the tank now