Native Pond:

Montyfish

Here it goes ... My friend has wanted an aquarium for ages but just didn't want to deal with all the setup costs. He has an unused pond at his house. I suggested he setup a native pond as a cost friendly solution. So pretty much me and him are gonna spend the next couple weeks on this little project.

Its a Decent sized pond (will get dimensions off him soon) that is shaded (I here thats important for temperatures).

A few Questions I have are as follows:

Are there any special care requirements compared to other fish (feeding etc)?

Where in Auckland is a good and legal place to catch said fish?

What species of natives do you guy's recommend?

Thanks

Here it goes ... My friend has wanted an aquarium for ages but just didn't want to deal with all the setup costs. He has an unused pond at his house. I suggested he setup a native pond as a cost friendly solution. So pretty much me and him are gonna spend the next couple weeks on this little project.

Its a Decent sized pond (will get dimensions off him soon) that is shaded (I here thats important for temperatures).

A few Questions I have are as follows:

Are there any special care requirements compared to other fish (feeding etc)?

Where in Auckland is a good and legal place to catch said fish?

What species of natives do you guy's recommend?

Thanks

Now that it's not 6 am and I have more time I give you a few thoughts...

You will want to keep the temp down to a max of 20 deg as if the water is above this it is stressfull on the fish. Higher temps mean less O2 in the water for a start and most of our natives are much better suited to lower temps. Under forest cover streams seldom get above 15-18 deg.

Most natives will take dried food eventually, some learn quicker than others. You will want a high protein food. I use NLS sinking pellets 2mm, Sera East-African cichlid pellets (about 2mm), Nutrafin Max Cichlid (about 1mm) and Discus (about .5mm). Use the right size for the fish etc etc... the NLS stuff sinks very fast and can get lost.

Any small stream should produce fish - the whitebait season has ended so make sure you aren't catching fresh run whitebait. The best way to catch fish is by spotlight at night - ask landowners and no reserves etc

I would suggest common bullies, Cran's bullies, inanga and banded kokopu. smelt should do ok but need high O2 when transporting them and in the first 24 hours or they will die, once settled thy are easy to care for and hardy enough. Other things to think about are freshwater shrimp (will end up as food if you keep kokopu) and koura. eels will likely wander off from the pond...

Thanks blueether,

My friend is really wants to keep an eel (he would take the right precautions and make the pond escape proof).

Got the dimensions off him today. Roughly the volume of the thing is about 1000l, its 60cm deep and has a diameter of 150cm.

The only thing that is stoping him at the moment is his filter and pump are broke so they need to be fixed or replaced first. With regards to decor, do you guys recommend caves made out of rock and driftwood. I know an eel would need something to make itself feel secure. Also he was wondering what pond plants would work well with the natives?

Thanks