Sick tank, help! Sick Rams too

Fievels

So I went away for a week, did a nice water change prior, and returned last Sunday to find my 8 year old bristlenose floating dead, and not looking pretty. He'd been acting a bit odd before I went away, hanging out in a different part of the tank, but I couldn't see anything physically wrong with him, other than he wasn't as shy as before.

The fish were fed everyday while I was away, apart from Saturday, which they normally cope okay with.

Anyway, I think he was dead in the tank 2 days before I came home to find him. Then I noticed my blue rams had boggly eyes, one in particular has what looks like a big bubble of a tumour growing out the top of his eye and is pushing his eye out somewhat. Two of my neons have slight white patches near their tails too.

I removed the bristlenose and did water changes immediately, and have treated the tank with wunder tonic, but the two rams don't seem to be getting better. They are still active and feed well.

What is your advice?!!

What are your tank readings? Chances are the dead fish has 1. created an ammonia spike 2. left bacteria in the water. Keep doing daily water changes. Wonder tonic will do little if the pop eye has been caused by bacteria in the water. You will need to dose furan to get rid of the nasties. If you don't want to use furan aim to keep your water as clean as possible and hope for the best.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=4827

Have read of the link. Its available from lfs and costs over $30 per packet of capsules. You need to dose as instructed,

Pros are that it is a pretty effective cure. Cons are 1.. it can kill off some filter bacteria 2. it is proven as a carcinogen so care is required.

• 2 weeks later...

Dosed the tank with Furan2, but didn't really notice any major changes. On final water change, while renewing carbon filter I found one of my rams dead. Ironically she wasn't the one who looked too serious, but whose eyes were a bit pop-eyed compared to usual.

Gave the tank a really good gravel vac, and cleaned log, under which I found the culprits... a couple of very fluffy looking vege pellets which I hadn't realised hadn't been eaten.

Fish all very happy now, and loaches are zipping around back to their usual selves... all except this guy who I now have in a QT. The bulge above his eye since taking this pic a few days ago, developed blood in it, and now looks like what I would describe as popped popcorn, and now is a bit fluffy too. What is this problem and is there any hope for him?!!

AAA97D9E-0606-4ED3-930B-7967BAC59347_zpsdb417201.jpg

Yes, but the treatment duration had finished, so I put the carbon back in. He's now in a diff tank with some wundertonic, but nothing much is fixing this ugly problem! I'm wondering if it will eventually just grow out and fall off! Poor fish, his balance must be getting quite put out!