Happy Panda Cories!

stillnzcookie

At least, I'm assuming they are pretty happy, as they have babies :love:

We've spotted at least four babies so far - two are now about 10mm long, one is about 7mm, and one is TINY - it actually looks more like a tadpole than a cory, and would only be 2-3mm long. I'm guessing that we might end up with more, as long as the water conditions stay to their liking, so I have a couple of questions:

I usually do a weekly water change, but hadn't done one for over a month - as all the fish were obviously thriving, I'm guessing I could go to doing one a fortnight (we have quite a lot of plants in our tank, so nitrates have never been an issue)? It was fascinating watching the cories going for it straight after a big water change - I thought one was attacking another, until I figured out what they were doing :oops:

We have a 60L tank, with 6 panda cories (plus babies, so now at least 10), 4 harlequin rasboras, 3 dwarf neon rainbowfish and 9 or 10 ember tetras (we bought 10, but I've only ever been able to count 9). So our tank is already at capacity - the harlequins are about 5 years old, and the rest of them have died, so when we bought the tetras we sort of assumed we wouldn't have them much longer, but they're still going strong! I realise that baby cories won't add too much to the bioload, but how big should they be before we rehome them? I'm trying to persuade hubby to set up a second tank, with just cories and a siamese fighter, but if I can't bring him round, we'll eventually have to get rid of some of them.

I'm very excited about having baby fish again - some of the adults we have now were born in the tank a few years ago, so we must be doing something right! I had forgotten how much fun it is to play "count the cories" at feeding time :bounce:

Woohoo! Corykittens!

New water may introduce good minerals for the fish & plants but on my heavily planted tank I tend to do WCs every fortnight as nitrates have never been an issue there either. Although for stocking levels you may just want to do regular WCs - because they're the only bottom dweller you have I probably wouldn't worry about space issues, only bioload issues. I'd say they'd be fine, provided you're OK with doing slightly larger or more frequent water changes c: