Tortoises in NZ, Anyone know of any breeders?

laurenylou22

Hey Everyone,

I'm currently in the waikato area and originally from the UK. I have always wanted a tortoise from being so little. In the uk they are so readily available and since moving here I had put the idea to rest as it just seemed you couldnt find them here I even got told they were illegal to have here. But the other day came accross a post from a blog that fuel my dream again to have them saying they were availble.

Im guessing species would differ from the common tortoises availble in the uk so would love to know if anyone has a tortoise or knows breeders or where to find one.

Big hopes, lauren =)

Please add your location to your profile as it will help people to help you. They are available in NZ from time to time and have been advertised on here and on trademe. The usual ones are greek spur thighs, Hermans and occasionally American boxies. You may get a shock at the differences in prices between here and the UK as they cannot be imported and there are not a lot around (hopefully they will become more common in time).

Your best bet would be to wait for a young one to pop up on trademe but they will likely not be for sale until march next year, the 'reptilez pet store' has a greek, herman and a boxie which is in te awamutu, they are a tiny bit more expensive than trademe but the greek spur thighed is only $900 which is fair considering it is around 3 years old now so check out thier website. Good luck finding one and saving up for one!

Thanks everyone. Yeh I realise they will be more but thats ok a tortoise is a life commitment so thats completely fine with me. :)

Have a grand tucked away for one already but want to build a fab habitat for he or she first.

Plus heads up people I have foind contact with a breeder that says there on stewert island. Just the breeds they say they have arent availble here in nz and are even endangered and are priced at a riddiculously low price of $215. When asking to call they say no and have no blog or website. So just a heads up if anyone else is looking just something seems not right. Found them through a google search on a site called backads.

Please add your location to your profile as it will help people to help you. They are available in NZ from time to time and have been advertised on here and on trademe. The usual ones are greek spur thighs, Hermans and occasionally American boxies. You may get a shock at the differences in prices between here and the UK as they cannot be imported and there are not a lot around (hopefully they will become more common in time).

What about horsefields? Do you know if they are available?

Tort7012013004_zps642096e1.jpg

One of last years babies ....

There are a few different breeds here in NZ ....

Herman s

Greeks

box tortoises

yellow heads

Just to name a few

YAYAYYY!! Makes me so excited to know theres tortoises here and can finally get hold of one. Wicked photo. :) do you happen to have a waiting list I can be put onto?