Need help setting up my 185L Tank

samuel90

So I bought the Aqua One 620 (90L) three weeks ago, and foolishly stocked it with African Cichlids. (Malawi Mbuna) .

After further research, I have found that 90L tanks are just not big enough for the African Cichlids, So I have purchased a 185Litre tank on trademe. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =649099533

As far as filters go, I need one that hangs down (not under the gravel) as the Mbuna dig around and could uncover the plastic thingy.

Also for the 185 Litre tank, is a 200 watt heater sufficient enough to keep a constant 25/26C temperature?

I am excited for your responses! Will upload a pick when it is all done... over a couple of weeks.... finances :S a haha

At this stage I just have 7 electric yellows, am putting my 7 demasoni's on hold for now. Had to return a blue zebra as she killed two tank mates already :(

Canisters are fairly expensive aren't they? Do you have a recommended brand/model for the size of my aquarium? I am on a budget however, as the longer I save, the longer those poor fishes are stuck in 90L tank!

Looks a nice set up. Personally I think that with Africans you should get an external (canister) filter. They can be messy and appreciate good water conditions. Which fish do you have?

Your heater size should be fine in that tank.

Have replied just above :)

At this stage I just have 7 electric yellows, am putting my 7 demasoni's on hold for now. Had to return a blue zebra as she killed two tank mates already :(

Canisters are fairly expensive aren't they? Do you have a recommended brand/model for the size of my aquarium? I am on a budget however, as the longer I save, the longer those poor fishes are stuck in 90L tank!

You should be ok with the demasoni, but you will need to get more than 7 probably more like 12-20, they should be fine in that sized tank.

You should be ok with the demasoni, but you will need to get more than 7 probably more like 12-20, they should be fine in that sized tank.

Oh that many! Can I equal it out with say 12 yellows, 12 auratus and 12 demasoni's? Does that sound like an "over-crowded" 185 litre tank??

Do we have any idea what filtration system will be best?? Any canister model's recommended? What litre/hour turnover would be best for the 185 over stocked tank?

Demasoni are smaller and skinnier than yellows so they tend to look balanced with more dems than yellows maybe 8 yellows and 12 dems, auratus and just too agro I wouldn't even attempt them in a tank that small, plus you would already have your blue/yellow with your dems and yellows so why add more fish the same colour? Maybe you could add a male peacock or 2 in to the mix to make things a bit different.

And I would recommend an external too, I would recommend an aqua one cf1200 I am not sure if hollywoods are selling them cheap but you used to be able to pick them up for $130-140 brand new.

Demasoni are smaller and skinnier than yellows so they tend to look balanced with more dems than yellows maybe 8 yellows and 12 dems, auratus and just too agro I wouldn't even attempt them in a tank that small, plus you would already have your blue/yellow with your dems and yellows so why add more fish the same colour? Maybe you could add a male peacock or 2 in to the mix to make things a bit different.

And I would recommend an external too, I would recommend an aqua one cf1200 I am not sure if hollywoods are selling them cheap but you used to be able to pick them up for $130-140 brand new.

oh awesome!

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... ter/m/928/

Would this be efficient?? I am looking for what the peacocks look like now! What are some other africans? I am fairly new:)

I would personally go with a bigger filter if you can manage it. I tend to take the ratings they put on filters with a grain of salt. Very very rarely do they actually do as much as they say they do. IMO you should go for something rated up to 300 or even 400 litres, considering it is an african tank so it will be heavily stocked. You cannot overfilter a tank so don't worry about that.

Wow so much helpful advice!!!

Who knows if there is a major difference between these two gravels!

I already have some of this sand but it was offcuts from a local pet store, so I am unsure which brand is necessary. Both of these look the same to me?

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... kg/m/1123/

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... ck/m/1123/

Obviously I would just go for the vastly cheaper one. right?

And you all have convinced me to go for the CF1200. :)