Wanting to deocrate my 70l tank....

TropicalThunder

Hi guys!!

As some of you have already read, I'm new here and have just started a 70l tank. In there at this stage are 2x Opaline Gouramis, 2x marble veil tailed Angel fish, 2x Golden Rams, 2x Kuhli Loaches, 1x Bristlenose Catfish, 1x Upside Down Catfish.

I have half a dozen or more false plants and a little boat which my Upside Down Catfish has laid claim to. I was thinking about going down to the beach and picking up some driftwood and also a few rocks. How do i go about cleaning these so that it doesn't affect water quality??

I'm also thinking about changing the lighting on the tank as it seems to be very very bright. I was in an Animates pet store the other day and seen there tanks have Blue and White lighting which really brought out the colours in the fish. does anybody know if it is possible to do this? the tank is an AquaOne EcoStyle 70l.

Finally, I was thinking of adding an extra bag of a softer substrate. Currently I have smooth stones, but think it may be a little too big for the Loaches to burrow through and was wondering if adding a softer substrate on top of the existing one would have any impact?

thanks in advance :)

Welcome. Those ecotanks are nice tanks :) I don't know if you can get LED lighting in a different colour to fit them though. Generally blue light is more used in marine tanks to simulate moonlight. Pink lighting brings out the colours much better. I am not sure if you know this already but your tank will be too small to accommodate both the angelfish and the gouramis when they grow. Both sorts of fish can to the 14cm+ mark - the angels in height, the gourami in length. Driftwood from the beach is usually safe as long as it is a hardwood but stay away from pine that has washed down the rivers. With the rocks they should also be okay as long as they are not limestone which will raise your pH too high. A good rinse with a hose for the wood and scrub of the rocks will clean them.

Loaches will enjoy smaller substrate.

dunno about the eco-style but some of the new Aquaone LED range have a moon light button that adds blue to the lights. retrofitting pink lights to one of those tanks would be a pain tbh.

a good tip with the drift wood is to look for Dark coloured wood as it isn't pine, and also to give it a good scrub down to remove any soft rotting wood (i normally throw away any wood thats soft anyways.)

might also want to point out that it is illegal to remove rocks or sand from a beach or river without a permit :sage: