AR-510 as marine?

Aqua

Hey guys, thought I should ask the 'salties' this question!

I went to Hollywoods in Albany over the weekend, and they had an AR-510 set up as a marine tank... The guy I spoke to said it was pretty easy to do, but my main question is would the filtration in the tank be enough for a marine tank, or should I be looking at fitting a sump to it for a protein skimmer etc...?? :bow:

yeah, they hold 69L or thereabouts...

I told him that I had one, and it was setup as a freshwater tropical.. He said it was easy to convert. I would *love* to do this, but I'm worried about price more than anything!

And I think I'd like to do reef, with maybe one fish.. A few shrimp, anenomes, stars, corals etc....

Suggest you have a read of some more posts in this forum. A setup like this is only really suitable for fish, and maybe some mushies. Every thing else requires more light and better, more stable water quality than you can be provided with this setup.

One of the local stores down here has one set up as a marine (actually it was the next size of tank down). Originally they has a single reef fish in it and have now switched it to seahorses. It is not at all clear that this lot know how to do marine stuff properly though. Certainly no corals or anemones.

by the time you have invested in everything required to "do"

one fish.. A few shrimp, anenomes, stars, corals etc....

why make it hard on your self with such a small tank?

make your life easy - go large on the Tank itself......

I'm only allowed the one tank... The other half refuses to allow me any more tanks! :cry:

And reading Pies' post where he's spent almost as much money as I earn in a year on his marine, my jaw dropped! I think I'll stay with freshwater until such time as I'm either earning stupidly large amounts of money, or I'm living in my own house, not renting...

Still, the AR-510 as a marine looked very pretty!

And yeah, it had some mushies, and a little blue fish with a yellow tail... I really should've taken a pic!

I would caution against that type of tank. Anything is easy if you know what you are doing.

Long term you will be very frustrated, tank to small, lighting not good enough, no room for a skimmer. 69 litres is not a lot of water. 3-4 small fish would be a lot.

I would suggest buying a bigger tank, 3ft is a good starting size and can always become a sump tank later on. You can gradually build up your filtration buy adding powerheads etc, slowly increase the amount of rocks and fish. If the budget is tight you can start with basic lighting and add the flash stuff later.

$$$ and research now will save you many times more in $$$ and livestock. The AR tanks are fantastic for freshwater but I do not believe they are suitable for keeping corals long term.

And reading Pies' post where he's spent almost as much money as I earn in a year on his marine, my jaw dropped! I think I'll stay with freshwater until such time as I'm either earning stupidly large amounts of money, or I'm living in my own house, not renting...

I wish I was earning stupid amounts of money too :/

In all fairness, and as an observation, most of the people I have met with nice marine tanks own their own houses. Moving a marine tank sucks (I know), which is unavoidable when your renting. It would be hard to reccomend someone start a tank without owning their own home, and thats without getting into the whole money thing...

It is an expensive hobby, money doesn't garantee success either but it does take more than just good intentions, sometime you just need to buy the kit. I don't want to come accross as snobby but its hard to get by without spending thousands and many of us have spent 10s of thousands.

There are a few here who have done it on a budget and may be able to offer some advice. There is more good 2nd hand/cheap china-copy gear around than ever before. But pumps, rock, lights and stock always cost money. And believe me, there is always some else to buy...

pie

heheh

I would love to see a post that did offend pies :D

Great technology will not by itself compensate for lack of experience....

Great experience will mitigate poor technology.....

For outstanding results I believe experience + technology are necessary.

Funny how hard people find it to sell 2nd hand a complete setup for say $2-3000, when it cost way more to setup, but many think they can start with $1000 of new kit and add as they go.....

From a purely financial point of view... why invest 10k into a tank if you do not own your own home?????

rich dad, poor dad stuff...

I was going to start my tank in a house I was renting, but that was more because I was planning on buying the house from my land lord. Luckely I didn't as the move to Napier was hard enough with my freshwater tank setups I think it would have been almost impossable with marine