Red Empress? Fish ID please

bigfishhead

Hi Guys,

Anyone can ID below fish? I raise a dozen of these since fry. I was told they are "Red Empress"

Now one and half years later young adult about 10cm including tail as below.

IMG_6704.jpg

Most recently I lost patience :evil: for waiting coloring up... start questioning whether they are red empress.... :facepalm:

As most adult red empress should looks like something below?

Protomelas Taeniolatus (Red) Super Red Empress Fire Hap http://www.livefishdirect.com/store.php?fid=85

hap%20fire%201.1_final.jpg

The closest match Hap cichlids I can find to my cichlid is below.

Haplochromis/Protomelas Ndiwe Fire Hap. http://www.livefishdirect.com/store.php?fid=405

NdewefireHap.jpg

Any thought ??.... Thx in advance :bounce:

How long does it take for Red Empress to fully coloring up? :facepalm:

id be very hesitant to say that was a Taeniolatus.head shapes pretty off (imo) looks like it might have azureus in it?for me its a hybrid mate

Yeah.. I hate to go down that track.. even I already knew it....Hybrid :facepalm:

But he is a really cool hybrid then :nilly:

Anyone else?

i agree i have had 8 red empress from fry and 1 male is starting to colour up now

IMG_0720_zpse1291d5a.jpg

There is no point in trying to identify the hybrid but your one looks like it has some D. Comp in it.

jckingjc it is probably a good idea to go to a proper site to look at photos of fish, cichlid-forum, fish base etc would be better places to go than a sale site. I pulled my Ad Konings books out and on the page for Protomelas taeniolatus (red empress) there are 8 different variants from 8 different parts of the lake, each look distantly different, varying degrees of red differing barring etc so it is very hard to pull an ID off a random photo off the internet. Plus the photo you have has a fancy trade name associated with it (Super Red Empress Fire Hap) meaning it is probably a line bred strain probably not comparable to what we have in NZ.

There is no point in trying to identify the hybrid but your one looks like it has some D. Comp in it.

jckingjc it is probably a good idea to go to a proper site to look at photos of fish, cichlid-forum, fish base etc would be better places to go than a sale site. I pulled my Ad Konings books out and on the page for Protomelas taeniolatus (red empress) there are 8 different variants from 8 different parts of the lake, each look distantly different, varying degrees of red differing barring etc so it is very hard to pull an ID off a random photo off the internet. Plus the photo you have has a fancy trade name associated with it (Super Red Empress Fire Hap) meaning it is probably a line bred strain probably not comparable to what we have in NZ.

Eye biter?...No way... My guess would be mixed with red Kadango.

Anyway... It is hybrid. What a shame waste all my effort :an!gry

I think I just gona buy an adult male at some stage.

Eye biter?...No way... My guess would be mixed with red Kadango.

Anyway... It is hybrid. What a shame waste all my effort :an!gry

I think I just gona buy an adult male at some stage.

Could be kadango to, but at the end of the day the pic in the picture does look hybrid, yours I am not so sure of.. Give it some time to colour up and see what happens, where did you get them from?