Herichthys carpintis (Pearlscale cichlid) experience?

REEVESTA

Hi all.

Just wanting to know if anyone here has any experience keeping these, or even better has breed them. Im thinking about giving it a shot in my spare 300l by growing out a few and letting them pair off.

Any thoughts or tips will be greatly apreciated.

Standard Cenrtal American cichlid fare really, get a group of half a dozen or so and let them pair off naturally, then remove the others. 300L should be ok for a pair depending on the footprint, I've also seen them breed at a very small size so you may not have to wait too long. They love to dig so don't get too fussy with aquascaping. Moderately hard water, well filtered, and probably on the cooler end of the tropical spectrum as they're from quite far north.

Sold as a Texas here Reeve.

i have some in my big tank in the fishroom

easier than most big SA and very nice fish with interesting breeding patterns

eat anything

good fish to keep

would thing 300 woudl be a bit small in long run but above post is right re get a group and grow out

breed at a small size too... maybe 3 inches

yep i have these guys and have had for a while.

posts above are correct. good info.

the last lot i got were the spawn of a pair that were only 6-7cm long. so you won't need a huge tank. but keep your eye on them. after my carpintis parents spawned, and the fry were removed, the male killed the female.

i find they are hardy fish, easy to keep, will eat anything, just like most american cichlids. and they look amazing when they get large.

at the moment my male is around 7cm and in a holding tank as he got the bash from my breeding convicts.

Oh yes!!

I think Texas would be an interesting species to see how breeding affects the size and growth-rate, if you had space it would be interesting to keep one of the others from the group that you separate from the pair and grow it out alone to see if/how much faster it grows than the breeders.