Introducing adult turtles

I currently have 2 female res, one about 20cm and one about 15cm, both about 5 yrs. They live in a tank 200 x 50 x 50cm, it is about half full. They get on very well.

I have been offered a third female, approx 17cm and 10-12 yrs. She has bounced from home to home a bit and may have a shell issue, so i kinda want to 'save' her. Is there anything i need to do when i introduce them? Is it likely a third will ruin the harmony? We plan to build a pond come summer so they wont all be in the tank forever

Just got her dropped off, her shell is definitely in need of attention and i think she is underweight but I have seen worse. With good food and sun I'm sure she will improve quickly. Will post pics later

If you stick to females, then you are less likely to have territorial issues and fighting. If you add a male...well, that will definitely alter the balance and harmony of your tank :facepalm: Females can also fight, but generally they settle down quickly and it's not a problem in my experience. I'll try and check in to see if I have any advice about the shell when you post the photos. You are right, good food and environment makes a HUGE difference to an ailing turtle :thup:

So Mrs new turtle thinks other turtles feet are tasty, she has been banished to the other tank which currently houses my plants. Turtles + soil substrate = brown tank! Gonna change it to bare bottom tonight, hopefully the plants don't get too minced between now and then.

So Mrs new turtle thinks other turtles feet are tasty, she has been banished to the other tank which currently houses my plants. Turtles + soil substrate = brown tank! Gonna change it to bare bottom tonight, hopefully the plants don't get too minced between now and then.

&c:ry That's a shame

Yeah i had high hopes cos the other 2 got on straight away but at least we had another tank. I keep meaning to take pics but getting tied up with our Foster puppies lol will clear out her tank over the next 2 days and get pics then. Her shell isn't soft at all but has white patches.