Black Beard Algae

Snowman

I've been using Flourish Excel for control of this , just called FSP and they have 2 different versions one for algae and one for fish , the one i'm using doesn't specify either way , i've been using the standard one for 2 weeks , there is an improvement but hasnt killed it yet , from what i've heard it should be dead by now , does anyone know which of these 3 Flourish Excels would be best to kill it . Thanks in advance : -)>

Hi Snowman

I think you'll find its the florish Excel "Organic carbon for the planted Aquarium" Thats what it says on the label. ( Instructions say "Dont overdose" but you'll find the recommendation for controliing BBA requires double dosing. )

But for about $9.95- 11.95 per fish you can get some Simese Algae Eater's they r damn good at keeping it under control once the Flourish knocks it back. I purchased 3 for my 250l tank.

And apparently they like having mates so get a couple at least.

HTH :)

Thanks Diver

Thats the one i've been using so i'll keep with it :D , the only thing that's put me off getting the SAE is how to tell the real ones from the fake , have heard there's another one that looks identical and is sometimes sold as a SAE but doesnt eat BBA , i've got 3 tanks with it so i'll need a few LOL

SAE's are relatively easy to tell apart.

They have a single black line right down the middle of the body that starts at the nose, passes through the eye, continues down the body and extends through the tail. There is no other markings.

Don't buy ones where the black line doesn't extend through the tail.

Don't buy ones with a gold line as well as the black line.

That's about all there is to it. It's the line extending through the tail that's the key to getting the correct fish.