how many minnows can i put in a 10l tank?

salmonfisher

What are the dimensions of this tank? When you say 10L I keep picturing a bucket. Remember minnows love to school in large groups and swim a lot, have you considered getting a different species?

I would say you could keep 5 minnows in a 20-25L tank if you had a filter, that would be about the smallest because as Sam says, they like to swim about. In your little round tank it might make a bit of a whirlpool if you get some current, so it's more suited to a slow moving fish like a fighter that could do without a filter if you changed some of the water every day.

You could make a nice little underwater garden in your bowl though, and wouldn't need a filter. Could add a couple of shrimp or snails.

Re how to set up a cheap minnow tank, this is what I have found, if you bought it all new:

30L tank from HFF $31

gravel $14

minnows $20

small internal filter $25

light fitting - $25-70 depending on type

a few plants - $10

you could get most of those things about half of that cost if you didn't want them new

Sophia's onto it. Remember as with all fish, the bigger you can go the better. I believe that a 90x30x30cm aquarium is a great size for minnows, you could have 40-50 in a tank like this provided you have sufficient filtration.

If you want to breed them seriously then fill about 2 thirds of the tank with moss and they'll spawn in and over it, and some of the fry should survive.

I've seen them breeding in tanks FULL of moss but I think they also like a bit of swimming room.