Clearview HOB filters.

BikBok

I have a basic 21L splish splash tank as my quarantine/hospital tank . It has one of those clearview HOB filters which should be fine for only 1-2 small fish.

But wouldn't light still get through the plastic and inhibit bacteria growth??

After my disaster several weeks ago with the imported guppy fiasco I decided I should get my splish splash cycled again, it had been sitting dormant. It's taking ages to cycle!!

I have two guppies in there, this is the 3rd week, I would have expected to at least see some nitrites by now.

I got to wondering if the light getting to the filter was hindering things, so I've now put a teatowl over it.

I've been on school break (I'm staff) but honestly I've been so busy with the tanks it seems like where did my holiday go!

1. imported guppys infected/killed 99.9 % of my NZ guppies.

2. then my main tank crashed after the filter failed.

3. am now cycling two tanks, doing checks twice a day and the required water changes.

My splish spalsh guppies have just birthed 10-15 babies (in an uncycled tank!) but I can't put the adults back into the main tank because that's trying to cycle as well and is more important than my QT .

I use one in my Dwarf puffer tank, (atm stocked with 5 leopard fish and one dwarf puffer, until the leo's are old enough to breed)

I find it to be pretty good, i removed the carbon and used filter floss instead, keeps the water perfect.