Is my turtle ok?

This is Shelley, she was in a dodgy pet store for several years without UV light, and when it closed down I made sure I got her. Her shell was white when I got her, that was about 18 months ago, she's come a long way!

I have noticed some pinkish areas in her squishy bits, and she has been spending an unusual amount of time at the bottom of the tank. She will eat and climb on her log to bask, but is 'sleeping' more than usual. Her tankmates are a larger turtle and a big pleco (it's a big tank). They are behaving as usual.

265391914.jpg

265389496.jpg

265388840.jpg

265388982.jpg

Does she look healthy? I realise her shell may not be tip top but I am working on that :) As I said she has improved a lot.

she looks fine to me?as much as you can tell from a pic?They seem to slow down a bit regardlss of heated tank or whatever in response to shortening day length?just keep an eye on her for signs of harrasment by an over excited male?they seem to be only too keen to take advantage of a dormant female.

are you selling her on TradeMe ? what is the auction number ? (TM watermark on pictures)

You can upload pictures to TM that aren't used for listings. Click MY Trade Me - Photos/ upload a photo then enlarge it . It's one way of getting images onto the forum here.

I used to do it that way until I started using photobucket.

I was a little concerned about the pink colouration on her backside, where the squishy bit meets the shell.

She isn't for sale on trademe, I just used it to upload the photos. However if you are interested in her perhaps I could be persuaded to part with her.

We have two females, sometimes the bigger one steps on her when she's 'sleeping' but doesn't seem to bother her otherwise. The pleco pushes both of them around now and then but they push back, seems they have their dynamic sorted pretty well but we always keep an eye on them.

I agree with Repto about them slowing down a bit at this time of year and watch out for bullying...between any sex really! Pink can sometimes come and go in small amounts like that...bit of a mystery...but I often see it if a turtle has got really cold and then disappears when they warm up a bit. I'd keep an eye on it, pictures help you remember how much was there, and if it gets worse or is associated with concerning changes in behaviour then take a visit to a reputable vet with some reptile knowledge. The shell is just the product of her past neglect and may never be 100% shiny and bright. Keeping the environment healthy will see improvements over time. It takes along time for a turtle to show symptoms of an illness and even longer for it to improve in most cases. Shell issues are the same...incorrect diet, lighting, filthy water...all lead to changes in the shell and these will take time to improve. The shell is just another part of the turtles anatomy (ribs etc) and so anything that affects the internal stuff can also affect the shell. Like metabolic bone disease. She doesn't have any symptoms of that or a build-up of unshed scutes, or a deformed shell, so as long as she is eating and basking, swimming correctly etc I'd just observe and see how she goes. :D Also, especially with a female, make sure she gets access to plenty of calcium (float a cuttle bone in tank) so she can munch on it if she needs to. Give cuttle bone a scrub when it gets a bit green or brown and pop it back in tank. She will know when she wants to munch on it! :happy2: