power cut yesterday

Brianemone

the power was out last night when i got home and didnt go back on for about mins (it went out just before i got home)

every thing seemed fine at first sight but on closer investigation my calustrea didnt take it too well, still alive but not very happy

anyone lost any thing to an outage?

depends what size. capacity of battery is measured in VA (volts x amps) i got a 2kVA (2000VA) for $200 second hand but that was a good deal. if you bought brand new you'd get a 600VA for about $300 - $500, 2nd hand you should pick one up for around $50 - $150. a 2kVA new would be over a grand easy. i would say if you just want to power your heaters and pumps, around 600VA or better for your nano. need to work out the draw on the devices plugged into it first though. go to trademe and have a looksee - just make sure they're not too old as batteries need replacing after a few years.

The batteries are really the important thing, they are similar to lead acid car batteries but different so expensive plus normally 4 or more batteries per UPS. I have 4 larger (3000kva) UPS's at work and they cost $500+ to have the batteries replaced and serviced. The charging voltage needs to be checked when the batteries are replaced otherwise you can over charge them which damages the batteries making them fail.

I have a 2kva UPS at home, the guy that services my work ones gave me a tested second hand set of batteries for a donation to there social club. When they replace the batteries they do the whole lot and normally it is just one that has failed so if you talk to them nicely...