Slow Tissue Necrosis

JoeBlog

Over the past week, two of my SPS have started to STN. Sorry for the picture quality, but I only have a digital video camera for the pics.

i5A0D66AF-B977-4E0B-850B-473F7302868C.jpg

i8219AF85-9DB7-41B6-ABE1-60087E528528.jpg

All of my other SPS are doing great. In fact, they are getting more colorful by the day and growing quite rapidly. It’s just these two that are having the problem.

Does anyone know why this could be? What I can do to stop it?

My water parameters are as follows:

Salinity: 1.026 (Unfortunately, measured with the glass bobber. Getting refractor soon.)

Calcium: 450 Salifert

dKH 11 Salifert (little higher than I would like)

Nitrate 0 Salifert

Nitrite 0 Salifert

Phosphates 0 Salifert (triple)

Mg 1350 Salifert

Temp 26.7

My first thought is that they are both somewhat out of the main turbulence of the Streams. The OM 4-way just arrived, and thus the flow problems should be address soon (given I can find some time away from work). However, there is a little frag right next to them doing great. So, I am a bit lost.

Joeblog. I have had this happen twice. If its the same as I have encoundered its a bacterial infection. I was loosing about 2-3mm a day.

Two options that have worked for me, the first is to stave off the infection by putting AQUAKNEEDIT around the base (where the STN is) of the coral.

The other option is to frag the coral as close to the STN as possibe , and scarfice the base.

I've heard of people using antibiotics on the base to stop the infection but no idea if this works.

I have never had it spread. I have never had it stop by itselt, try my suggestions above to save the coral.

Good luck

Pie

Yes, that's what I thought. Strange something in such great looking health would be dieing.

The bottom pics, were they really bad brown outs when you got them? I've been doing a bit of reading on RC about this, the consensus seems to be that if you buy sps that is very dark brown, there is a good chance to lose it regardless what you try.

Well, I've chopped them up. :cry: What a pain in the rear!! That green coral was INCREDIBLY slimy. Hopefully, this will be the end of the STN. I would be REALLY bummed if I lost the green one since I just got it and it's certainly one of my favorites. At least now, I have heaps of separate frags, so hopefully at least one of the bunches will survive. If more than one, then I will have some corals for trade! 8)

The bottom pics, were they really bad brown outs when you got them? I've been doing a bit of reading on RC about this, the consensus seems to be that if you buy sps that is very dark brown, there is a good chance to lose it regardless what you try.

Yeah, it was a DARK chocolate color when I initially bought it. However, it did color up quite nicely to a really cool pink/light purple. The downer is that almost all the SPS turned a light brown when I moved the tank a little over a month ago and experienced a mini-cycle. They are just starting to get their pre-move color back. Almost all the corals that I've purchased were quite dark brown when I bought them, so I really hope the info on RC doesn't turn out to be the case for me! :o

Joeblogg do you use much carbon?

No Reef, I actually don't use any. I've been thinking about using that stuff that I think lduncan uses, Purigen (sp??), but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think a couple of the other ChCh reefers use it as well.

I've been thinking about using that stuff that I think lduncan uses, Purigen (sp??), but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I've actually stopped using it recently (a couple of weeks ago), I suspected that it may be causing or aiding some stn type recession on a couple of my more picky acro's. Don't know if it was the purigen. But I took that out first because it's the only "unconventional" thing I had been using, and water parameters were all fine.

I wouldn't think it would cause problem, all it is is a polymer. I'll probably put it back in later. Who knows, maybe it was just that time of month for these particular acro's. It tends to be the same ones I have intermittent problems with, but they seem to recover quick enough.

JoeBlog - I don't think I would be too conerned you have reciently moved tanks so things are probably just out of kilter, sure all will return to normal soon.

Heat a problem at the momeny or under control?

Q. Have any of you Christchurch peeps met up, been swapping corals?

The reason I ask is maybee we should organise a combined trade, 2 of each for 2 of each sort of thing? As both Layton & JowBlog are big on SPS and I too have SPS I am sure we can work something out? I have 10ish SPS I can frag, can probably find another 5 from other sources. If your interested let me know, possible best to do it before the temp gets too cold.

Pies

Heat a problem at the momeny or under control?

Since I moved the tank out of the conservatory and direct sunlight, all is great!!

Q. Have any of you Christchurch peeps met up, been swapping corals?

The reason I ask is maybee we should organise a combined trade, 2 of each for 2 of each sort of thing? As both Layton & JowBlog are big on SPS and I too have SPS I am sure we can work something out? I have 10ish SPS I can frag, can probably find another 5 from other sources. If your interested let me know, possible best to do it before the temp gets too cold.

There are actually quite a few of us in ChCh starting to get into SPS. The problem is that we are all fairly new, except for lduncan. He and Reef have been very generous in giving me some advanced trades. :hail::bow::hail:

Since I am new, most of my colonies are very small and I wouldn't be able to get a decent frag off of them just yet. The only ones that I really have at the moment are the two that I just hacked up and who knows how many of those will survive. :(

As soon as the others grow a bit more, I'm totally down for some swaps. Unfortunately, it will probably be at the height of winter then. :( That shouldn't hold us back too bad though since we can just use some camping heat packs to keep the little guys toasty. :wink:

First things first though, I need to pay my frag debts to lduncan. :)