Had a bad morning...

Squirrelfish

Hi there, got a question or two based on a disaster this morning.

First let me show how new I am to this and get your laughter out of the way :D

I bought a second hand 125 Litre tank from a neighbour 6 months ago, it came with 6 neon Tetras, two 5cm long gold coloured fish, two 10 Cm long white and black tiger striped ones and two round, thin fish (about 6/7 cm in diameter) with long underbody antenna things and being black and silver in colour.

Ok thats as technical as I can get - why?

I an English but live in Switzerland with no German language skills to speak of so far, I have the German names for these fish on a list but I can't find the damn thing.

All the fish are still alive (so far...) and have been doing well UNTIL...

I woke this morning to around 40 Litres of water on my living room floor and more trickling out from under the tank.

I rescued the fish that are cramped into a 20 Litre tank for now and emptied the rest of the water from the big tank and cleared up. When I moved the now empty (apart from substrata - know that name from browsing this forum just now so I AM learning? :oops: )

The floor of the tank had cracked, I have no idea why or why now and not 6 months ago. Regular 1/3 of water changes are made and I check the water quality often but do not move the tank. It is sitting on a flat kitchen unit worksurface that is very solid.

Ho hum, I now have a swish new 180 Litre tank and it is filled with water, substrata and plants (from the old tank) and settling.

However and here, at last, are the questions...

1) Can I put the fish into the new tank today? if not will they survive in the smaller one that has JUST water in it?

2) An other ideas?

fast replies appreciated as you can guess

Thanks alot in advance people.

Squirrelfish

From your discription, I would say your first tank had it's base break because you didn't have a sheet(10mm minimum) of polystyrene underneath it, but on the table.

If your new tank is set up without it.

I'd definately suggest that you empty your tank.

Put down a sheet of polystyrene, it takes away pressure points that can cause breakages.

Replace tank and start all over.

In the meantime, put some aeration, and heat control, into your fish in the rescue tank.

To repair the other tank.

Strip all the glue on the inside of the tank around the base to the vertical walls, clean well, then get a piece of glass cut with about 5mm clearance on the inside measurements,

Use silicone glue, acidic cure and making sure a good bead is put right around the bottom corner, also several beads up the centre of the tank base, and a bead over where the tank has cracked.

Now gently lower the new base into the tank.

A good sucker is now a good weapon to help aid this manoeuvre.

Now bed it down as tight as possible by pressing down hard using your hands.

Now go around the perimeter of the newly installed base and put another bead, this is smoothed into place using a wet finger.

Make sure no other surfaces are touched with glue in the process, if you happen to tho, wait for it to dry before attempting to remove it.

WARNING

This can be hazardous to your health, and should be done in a well ventilated area.

Alan 104

Oh !

Wecome aboard. :P

Al

Thanks for the fast reply!

You are right, there was no base under the old tank, just glass onto formica type surface.

The new tank has a built in base and the manual says I don't need more thankfully.

I have put the old heater into the small 'rescue tank' but if I put the only filter I have into it also there will be almost no room for fish ?

I tested the water in the new tank just now and the results are all within range exept for the GH balance which is too high. The leaflet suggests adding distilled water, if I do this will the fish be OK in the new tank or are there other factors ? Temperature is already at the same as it always was in the old tank.

As for repairing the old tank, thanks! I was about to throw it out. Now all I need to do is persuade my wife that two tanks are better than one

:lol:

PS: Whats acidic cure? an additive for the silicon?

Acidic cure is the ONLY one to use.

The alkaline (I think) is used in the plumbing trade for waterproofing flashings, the acicidc one caused the metal to rust.

Also, the non acidic has mould inhibitives in it that are lethal to fish if used in the manufacture or repairs of a tank.

Go to your local glazier and ask them what they use.

You may get a tube cheaper than the hardware store too.

Have a look in their waste glass bin toowhile you are there, most glaziers are partial to an ale, if you wish to remove some of their rubbish.

Opps !

more tanks.

Tell ya wife you have to have a reserve tank in case of problems with the main tank.

You also need a spare tank, smaller, for quarantining new fish or sick fish.

By the way. Check to see that your new setup has a pilystyrene under sheet.

If not, GET one.

Alan 104

Its a bit difficult to tell how well the bactria (that break down all the fish etc waste) survived the move around. Also because you don't have any fish in the tank your water parameter readings dont really mean much. For a start I would treat it like a new tank and just put 2-3 fish into it wait a few days and redo your water tests, this should give you and idea if the tank needs to be cycled again.

When you move the fish make sure you acclimatize them to the new tank, do this by putting them in a bag with water from the small tank and float them in the new tank then over an hour or so, add 1/4 cup of water every 10 - 15 minutes from the new tank to the bag.

You might want to change some water in the small tank each day cause with no filter it will get bad pretty fast. If the fish start to look unhappy (gulping, clamping fins etc) you migt just have to risk it and move them all into the new tank.

Acidic cure is just a type of silicon and will smell very strong when you use it, also make sure it doesn't have a mold killer.

HI Squirrelfish,

I havnt been keeping fish very long either, but Alan and Surphew have covered all the main points.

I would also suggest you make sure you have polystyrene under your new tank (if the stand is good quality you could maybe get away with only 1/2' thick piece).

Finally there are a few posts in here about transfering fish from 1 tank to another (usually a bigger tank :)) Keep as much of the old water as possible. Dont clean your filter. You need to keep as much of the good bacteria as possible to speed up the bacterial colonisation of your new tank.

Good Luck :)

Personally I would move the fish to the new tank. They are cramped where they are anyway so a bigger tank must be better even if it hasn't cycled. You still have the old filter to use and a lot of the bacteria survived the disaster hopefully. Any bacteria from this are better than nothing. Keep the old filter running along with the new one (if one came with the tank. Since you said it has a built in base I assume it is one of the new "everything you need built in" types but may be wrong :roll: )

If I have read it right you have also used the old substrate and what water was left from the cracked tank to the new. All this will help.

Keep a close eye on the fish for signs of stress as they may get white spot as a result of all this. White spot looks like salt has been sprinkled over the fish. There are various medications available to treat this with instructions on the container. Don't know what they have in Switzerland so won't name brands.

Not a good way to get a new tank is it? - but very convenient :lol:

I had to move them all into the new tank. They were getting very unhappy, showing signs described above and the tiger stripped ones were very aggressive.

So far so good, they have been in there 15 hours so far and appear very calm so here's hoping!

This is what the new setup looks like -

tank.jpg

I used the old substrata and added some new on top to help with the bigger surface area. ALso used as much of the old water as I could save.

Caryl, yes it one of the all in tanks by a Company called 'Juwel'. Heater and filter are built into the black box in the right rear of the tank.

Anyone got ideas on setup? should I have more plants for example?

Apologies for the fish on string! The kids have needs too it seems :lol:

I have to say you have done very well to make a nice looking tank with articles I would consider "tacky" (blue gravel?! :) ).

Having more plants is good, but not essential. They provide a place for fish to hide and help with filtration.

BTW that fish in front of the orange rock is an angel fish.

Good luck and keep an eye on the water quality.

Have to keep the kids interested! :lol: Love the fish on strings. At least they won't die or get whitespot :wink:

More plants would make the fish feel more secure - especially as they can be approached from both sides. There are very few places to hide in that tank at the moment.

Keep an eye out for whitespot developing over the next couple of weeks.

Ok, I have added more plants...

tankplants2.jpg

tankplants1.jpg

It also raises another question, in the next picture is one of my original plants that started growing facial hair a couple of weeks ago.

So either it has reached puberty OR it needs some medication OR it needs a decent burial.

Advice on which please guys?

plantgrowth.jpg