What is ok to put in the tank?

LoveArowanas

Just in regards to ornaments etc. I have this rubber-plastic squeaky toy for baths shark thingy that I want to put in my tank but Im obviously wary

Few questions if I may

What sort of guidelines are there for foriegn objects? How to know what is ok and what is not. How would I test/know if my shark is ok?

What are the standard fish shop ornaments made out of?

Do the ornament makers use some sort of special ok-for-tanks paint?

Who manufactures them. Are they made in NZ? Is it feasible to make your own?

Thanks to anyone who has any clues about these things :love:

My personal opinion not based on any research or facts, is that if it is ok for babies to chew on (ie. a bath toy) then it is unlikely to release anything nasty into the water.

But I think if you put that in your tank it would get pretty slimey and brown real fast and not look great. And just check it doesn't have tiny caves or bits where fish could get stuck.

How would I test/know if my shark is ok?

The things I'd be concerned about are:

Bath toys get pretty slimy and manky even when they're dried every day. As Sunbird73 said, it may not stay looking good (but maybe you could take it out and scrub it every week?)

I have found with my kids' bath toys that the paint starts flaking off after a while - the base colour will probably be fine, but the painted on bits may not.

Most bath toys have a hole in the bottom - the toy may fill up with water that will go stagnant and yucky pretty quickly

What are the standard fish shop ornaments made out of?

I think they're made of a sort of synthetic resin - probably acrylic?

Who manufactures them. Are they made in NZ?

They are almost certainly made using slave/child labour in China

Is it feasible to make your own?

If it is, there will probably be a "how to" guide on YouTube! You can get craft resins, which you pour into moulds to make various things, so you can probably do the same for fish tank ornaments.

Ok I might check that out, tx for th tips! Im a real tank-fusser so cleaning it every fews days wont bother me at all

I put the shark in there.... but tbh I am a little dissapointed, it doesnt look as "real" as I hoped. If someone could just GE a mini Great White that would be swell! :ton: