Getting a tank made vs 'all in one system'

scottscape

Morning guys and girls,

I have been trying to answer this myself for a few weeks and really would love some input.

I am looking to get a new tank as I have an enthusiastic partner who has well overstocked my 620T (36 fish as of this weekend)

I have rigged up an aqua one 1000 filter in addition to the hood filter and have pretty good plant growth (homemade CO2 system) which with good water changes should see fish health remain ok until I get some more water available (so long as they all keep getting along and don't grow too much!).

I live in a second story apartment in Auckland, pretty modern place and have taken a stab that I should be pretty safe up to 300L or so regarding floor strength(any input on how big is possible with a reasonable safety margin would be great - it will be across as many joists as possible of course).

What I really need to decide at this point is whether I should get a tank made, try to find a second hand deal or get an 'all in one tank' like the one I've got.

I don't know about going for an 'all in one' system again as tinkering with the systems etc is most of the pleasure of it for me, and I am looking at a lot of hassle to upgrade the 620T's lighting, but at the same time they are easy and nice as a 'show tank'(therefore maybe a high quality one will cut it).

My second option is second hand which is a bit of a risk and a bit of a waiting game but it might save me some cash to spend on other components. I could go for buying an all in one or separate components this way and get a really hi spec filtration and lights which would be really cool.

My third option is to get a tank made (I can get stands made for myself at no cost so it would just be the glass). I really have no idea about the cost for this option and its what I want to find out. About how much does it cost to have a plain rectangle tank made at between 200-300L? I am not necessarily looking for the cheapest estimate if I go down the build path - quality ultra clear glass and silicon and finish are much more important to me then a couple of hundred bucks because that would certainly be a long term tank.

(also how hard is it to build one yourself? The reason for my question is I can access low iron glass really cheap if I need to through work)

Also if anyone has been down this path, as I am sure many of you have, your story or any pro tips which you would like to share would be much appreciated.

My budget is negotiable but realistically wanting to spend up to $800 for the tank and system which I have in mind. Correct me if that is unrealistic.

Thanks in advance - Scott.

I personally would get a tank made, and set it up your self, it is far more fun to do it that way.

When I bought a new glass tank last september it cost me $230 for 1.2long*.45wide*.55high (just under 300l), in 10mm glass, and I doubt the price for tanks has changed much since then.

I dont know much about floor strength, but 300l tank should be fine, as long as you dont go for a really high option.

I personally wouldnt buy a second hand tank, the saving in money isnt worth having 200+L of water and fish spilling all over my floor.

You should be able to get a tank of similar size set up for less then $800, but I personally think you should set one up yourself as it is fun, and good experience for when you set up more bigger tanks (or maybe it is just me that has mts....).

But I wish you luck on your endeavors.

:smot: but what are the fish that you have in your tank?

I personally would get a tank made, and set it up your self, it is far more fun to do it that way.

When I bought a new glass tank last september it cost me $230 for 1.2long*.45wide*.55high (just under 300l), in 10mm glass, and I doubt the price for tanks has changed much since then.

I dont know much about floor strength, but 300l tank should be fine, as long as you dont go for a really high option.

I personally wouldnt buy a second hand tank, the saving in money isnt worth having 200+L of water and fish spilling all over my floor.

You should be able to get a tank of similar size set up for less then $800, but I personally think you should set one up yourself as it is fun, and good experience for when you set up more bigger tanks (or maybe it is just me that has mts....).

But I wish you luck on your endeavors.

:smot: but what are the fish that you have in your tank?

Thanks a lot for the reply, that price is waaay below what I was expecting aye. Reading my post again it suddenly seems to me that I should gamble big and try building it myself! Ill get a quote for the glass and see if id be wasting my time.

I am glad to hear that 300L should be fine, now to worry about getting it up the spiral staircase in one piece!

The fish I have.. I used to know each and have names for them all but now its just gotten ridiculous. 5 angels of various ages, two veiltails, 5 clown loaches, 3 plecos, 5 cherry barbs, one tiger barb, two dwarf gouramis, 5 red tail silver body spratt looking things which turned up this weekend and I think thats it for that tank.

In the bedroom theres a fighter, ten tetras and a baby angel in a 25 litre tank. Tipping my hat to the guy at hollywood fish farm that told her we could have a fish PER LITRE in each tank :facepalm: though perhaps there was an element of selective hearing in there.

Putting it together could be fun, just with a large tank it might be hard to get it to look good, but I wish you luck if you decide to do that.

Thats a nice selection of fish there, maybe you misheard that rule a bit, I have heard 1cm of fish per litre before, but there are so many other factors that count. Personally I think the main part is to have enough filtration, the tank is large enough for the maximum sizes and to do enough water changes that the water doesn't get to 'unhealthy'.

Getting it up a spiral stair case could be a fun challenge, as with 10cm glass my tank was almost to heavy for dad and I to carry it, and we didn't have any tricky maneuvering it around a stair case

Putting it together could be fun, just with a large tank it might be hard to get it to look good, but I wish you luck if you decide to do that.

Thats a nice selection of fish there, maybe you misheard that rule a bit, I have heard 1cm of fish per litre before, but there are so many other factors that count. Personally I think the main part is to have enough filtration, the tank is large enough for the maximum sizes and to do enough water changes that the water doesn't get to 'unhealthy'.

Getting it up a spiral stair case could be a fun challenge, as with 10cm glass my tank was almost to heavy for dad and I to carry it, and we didn't have any tricky maneuvering it around a stair case

Maybe building the tank in the lounge could be the go then, though might not have the floor space and shifting will be interesting.

You are probably right about getting the silicon all even and the panes all dead straight, perhaps I can simply supply the glass to the assembler and save myself a few bucks.

I am fortunate I can shift my bio balls to the new filter to suss the cycling of the new tank nice and quick. Trademe has some really cheap filters, and to be fair there seems to not be a hell of a lot to a filter so long as the pump runs strong and reliably I don't really see where a lot of the difference in price comes from. From there a couple of good heaters, a light bar - If I don't go for LED's (I really want LED's) I will get a flourescent tube holder and make it super reflective with new bulbs. Should work sweet.

How many kilos you reckon your tank weighed? Its not a great deal different to the one I'm thinking of.

Regarding the fish - I've read an inch but same difference its still just an opinion - I'm just glad they are all relatively peaceful to each other - except the angels who bicker. Its not good long term to leave them all strapped for space. Having an African theme with cichlids in the new tank would be most good but that would mean I couldn't shift across most of the fish. The filtration I have was actually really easy to set up and I believe it is more then enough for now in the 620T.

I'm really glad to hear that $800 is reasonable, cheers for your input.

It would be real nice to go marine, but a sump tank would definately tip me into the 'dangerous weight' category and I'm not going to do that till I have the budget(and the insurance!) to do it right - and also the right flatmate to take care of it when I'm away!

Is it even possible to insure your tank and fish??

there's more to a filter than just a pump, and definitely a difference between the brands. that said for most purposes the cheapo sunsun canisters are fine. the stocking in your current tank isn't gonna be great for the fish (the angels and loaches need a much bigger tank even without tank mates). if you want to go african you should probably sell of some of your fish in your current tanks. as for your tank options, if buying new you will definitely get more bang for your back getting a tank made and sorting it yourself. If you can knock up a stand, buy a couple of cheap filters and a light (get a decent heater though or you may end up cooking your fish) you'll come in a fair bit cheaper than an all in one (and those built-in filters usually aren't up to much). I set up my african tank fairly cheaply by buying a 2nd hand tank and stand, then aquiring the other bits and pieces when i found good deals. the aquaone filters from hff are pretty good value (i've got 2 cf1200s on my tank) and are worth considering.

there's more to a filter than just a pump, and definitely a difference between the brands. that said for most purposes the cheapo sunsun canisters are fine. the stocking in your current tank isn't gonna be great for the fish (the angels and loaches need a much bigger tank even without tank mates). if you want to go african you should probably sell of some of your fish in your current tanks. as for your tank options, if buying new you will definitely get more bang for your back getting a tank made and sorting it yourself. If you can knock up a stand, buy a couple of cheap filters and a light (get a decent heater though or you may end up cooking your fish) you'll come in a fair bit cheaper than an all in one (and those built-in filters usually aren't up to much). I set up my african tank fairly cheaply by buying a 2nd hand tank and stand, then aquiring the other bits and pieces when i found good deals. the aquaone filters from hff are pretty good value (i've got 2 cf1200s on my tank) and are worth considering.

Hi, yes the Loaches are getting big very quickly, as are the angels! I reckon I have another few months before it becomes too urgent, the Loaches are certainly really happy as they are at the moment.

Sunsun are definitely looking the cheapest so I was going to ask what people thought of them. In saying that there are a few brands which I think are not too ridiculous in price so any advice on hierarchy of brands would be cool. I bought my aqua one from hff.

Selling fish seems more hassle then its worth eh, are people interested in buying full grown fish?

Real good to hear that its cheaper to build your own system, I hope I can do it in a really good looking way!

Any advice on cheap ways to do lighting?

I will start making inquiries with local tank builders. Mean.

i got a couple of sunsun double t5 lighting units off trademe for about $110 a piece. I've had sunsun filters before and they seem fine (though not very efficient and ignore the advertised output as it drops off pretty quickly). that said, personally i would go for the aquaone filters.

if you didn't want to sell the fish, best bet would be to set up the new tank for them and go with a community tank. clown loaches get pretty big (or at least they should do if they're in the right conditions), as do angels, and need much more space than a 620t. that said i don't think you'd have too much trouble selling them (and they won't even be close to full grown fish). if you wanted to look at the possibilities for an african tank you're more than welcome to come check mine out, just pm me. my tank is about the size you're looking at and i reckon it's turned out pretty good.

Alright I got myself way to psyched on a tank at lunch today and now have purchased a 350 odd litre Jebo tank.

Jebo 2000 lph filter, changeable lighting, nice stand.

$350 seems like a pretty good deal, now I have a few hundred to spend setting it up from here.

Thanks for all the advice, I cant wait to see it, and see if it will fit in my car and into my house!