are these compatible?

Scarletmonuka

Hey i'm just tossing around ideas here at the moment. in my 5 footer i have two small firemouths.. i wanna get a keyhole to go with them but i am also wondering if i can put a salvini cichlid in there with them? once again i will have 8 tiger barbs and an albino rainbow shark.. tanks will be semi planted with lots of drift wood and rocks. its 300 litres

cheers

salvini will eat the barbs once his mouth is big enough (or even before). it will probably pick on the t-bars too, but in saying that, as with many other american cichlids, often it is luck of the draw as to whether you get an aggressive or passive one. but as for it eating the small fish, that is a definite...

T-Bar???

Salvini will munch everything once it gets big enough.

Keyhole should be fine, they wont cause any issues, but if the firemouths go breeding mode then the keyhole wlll need an area away from them (firemouths normally have smaller territories to the 5ft should be fine.)

google corrected the spelling for me... lovely fish.. whats one retail for? i want to use a fine grave for my substrate (at least at this stage). i would have to use sand if if wanted one of these right? i know i won't find one down here but i guess its something to look for when we go to chch in late march

Slowly!! Got the glass sorted, waiting on engineer friend for stand...

As for the mix, it really does come down to the individual fish, all you can do is start out with a bunch of juvi's and be prepared to thin/separate them if needed. It is always a delicate balancing act, especially in smaller tanks, sometimes removing one or two will upset the balance further...

So in other words i have to be prepared to invest a good sum of money (i'm guessing juvies would range from $20 - $30 each) in getting the right fish. trying to sell the more agressive ones on and at least get back what i payed would be extremely difficult.. especially down here. Budget doesn't allow me to do that so i will stick to the less agressive fish for the time being :) haha its funny up until joining this forum i thought 300 litres was a massive tank..

salvini will eat the barbs once his mouth is big enough (or even before). it will probably pick on the t-bars too, but in saying that, as with many other american cichlids, often it is luck of the draw as to whether you get an aggressive or passive one. but as for it eating the small fish, that is a definite...

whoops, i meant to say firemouths, not t-bars. oh well, if you end up getting t-bars, then it will be a fortunate mistake in the end, t bars are choice.

Sajica's are a little more peaceful than their cousins, the Convicts are, but that is not to mean that they are a placid fish. They still pack a fair amount of punch for their size. They are not suitable for community tanks, but do well as the only cichlid species in a biotype style environment. They also do well with similar sized cichlids such as Firemouths and are a nice, smaller sized fish to round out a tank where Convicts might be too aggressive. They are also an option in large tanks containing some of the medium to larger sized cichlids that are not overly aggressive, such as Severums, Oscars and Jack Dempseys. As long as there is enough room for each species to define a territory, there should not be any real problems.

http://www.worldcichlids.com/fotm/july2005_t-bar.html

i guess the danger is i'm heading to a species only tank... i really want a school of super active fish in with the cichlids.. thats why i was going for tiger barbs, as they get to decentish size. i really wouldn't want them getting munched on though. the local garden store has (or at least had) a tank full of checker board silver dollars. but i think they would get too big for the tank.

yeah david i've defiently decided to stay away from the salvini's for now... its such a shame that there are so many awesome fish out there... makes it damn hard to decide!

tanks a bit small for the majority of the SA/CA cichlids, but (im gonna cop some flak here) there is no reason not to consider some african species as well, most of them are being bred in more acidic water anyways so you don't need any super high pH for them.

also Lionhead cichlids!!!!

ugly but cute,

You will fall in love

i reckon you'll be sweet with two firemouths and two T bars in a 300l. especially if they are young when you get them. firemouths will end up around 15cm and the t bars a bit smaller. which won't be too much hassle. and i'd be willing to bet my left meatball that by the time the firemouths and Tbars have grown out to full size, the sickness will well and truly have it's fingers deep inside your brain and your wallet, and you will have a bigger tank by then (1-2 years depending how you feed them) just make sure they all have a little cave/territory for their own, not that these guys are very aggressive at all, but it would be the nice thing to do.

it will be an exciting tank. what's the worst that can happen. all the other kids are doing it. it'll make you feel good etc etc... just do it!