What's the Answer

Alan

Here's a letter I just received.

Hi Alan,

I’m, regularly having problems with Kribs and their eyes popping out and their jaws seeming to be locked open ( meaning that their mouth is always open like it’s going to eat something). My PH is Neutral and I have done Nitrite, Nitrate and Ammonia tests and all have come back as within acceptable levels. Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks,

XXX

Wadda think?

Tank water NOT really up to standard?

ie. not enuff water-changes

Results pop-eye?

Any help will be appreciated.

Alan 104

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem with one of my male kribs, his mouth is locked open, water is testing all good and I have been doing water changes about 10% weekly. It was in a com tank but I moved male and female into there own tank(because of its anti social behaviour)

I am thinking that It rammed another fish and has done some damage to its jaw, have been worried that it wasn't eating properly but tonight notice its back in full mating colours, but still with a open mouth.

Colin

I was reading an article some time ago (don't know where).. but it was concerning something like a "micro embolism" in fish... similar to when a diver gets the bends. I think I was researching Pop Eye at the time.. (in fish that is... not the sailor man Alan :))

The theory was.. that a possible cause for the eyes popping was due to air saturation in the water, through possible over aeration.. especially fine bubbles... and the liking for fish to swim in the current and bubble stream.

They also mentioned that the same theory could be related to swim bladder disorders.. eg: Air trapped in the body.

Not sure about the mechanism that is behind the eye.. but if pressure is built up there it might also be possible that the pressure is affecting the muscles (or whatever).. that control the movement of the jaw..

Just theorising of course, as I have no proof of this.. but seems feasable.

It has always been my belief that popeye was caused by poor water conditions that caused a fluid or gas buildup behind the eye.. but of course air is a gas :)

Bill.

Thanks for the answers guys

Iinvited the person to come on line and help with the answers,

but as you can see there was no response.

Can't help those that won't help them selves.

Thanks Bill, similar thoughts as what fishbait was thinking.

But I'd still err on the water conditions, or a genetic malfunction.

Alan 104

question? Was the jaw normal to start wth, or has it always been like that. Because i read some info a while back on cichlids having genetic deformities such as a "locked jaw" or "open mouth", e.g. Parrot Cichlids. just a thought.

Has this person tried treating the kribs with anything for there eyes? First thought would be pop eye, i dont know anything about micro bubbles thingy.

Shae

Thanks Shae, but read above.

He won't join to answer those queries.

Hejust emailed me his prob and I aren't going to do a three way conversation with him when he is quite capable of coming on site.

But thanks anyway

Alan 104