Noisy FX-5

ally07

Happy New Year all..

After coming back from our holiday, I noticed that my FX-5 had stopped. After taking the impeller out and cleaning it, it ran. Only this time it's very very noisy. It used to be a low hum when it was running but now it's rattling and vibrating so badly that I don't run it to prevent the problem getting worse.

I suspect that it might be a problem with the motor that spins the impeller, but I can't open it because of the special screws.

Any ideas what the problem could be? Is it something I can fix or do I need to send it for repair?

Thanks

first of all the "motor" is a sealed electromagnet and has no moving parts that could rattle.

i would put money on it being the impeller itself, pull it out, make sure all the bits are fine/stuck together properly and the magnet itsef is not cracked.

also check the shaft, and stick your finger down the hole to make sure there is no grit or stones in there, also make sure the rubber caps for the impeller are seated properly.

Cool, thanks.

I always wondered what was inside that 'motor' area haha - mystery solved.

Popped by Hollywood today and they reckon it's probably the impeller too, so I'm gonna get it tested tomorrow. At least the problem is being narrowed down and it sounds fixable instead of having to replace the whole FX-5.