More algae.

cracker

Tank is now getting close to 6 months old.

Im in the middle of yet another bloom. :-?

This is the fourth bloom since startup and my nitrates are 5, (Salifert).

Phosphates 0, (Salifert).

Any ideas, (Im not really worried, just interested to hear any possible reasons).

Cheers

Craig

Best thing I did to get rid of algae was kill the flatworms...I don't get it, heaps of hair algae, cyano, give it a dose of Salifert flatworm exit, water change, carbon. The next day the cyano was noticably disappearing, a week it was gone except for a few patches. In a week the hair algae was noticably disappearing and in two weeks almost totally gone except for a few patches. I'm pleased, but confused.:)

Not really helpful, I guess.

mine did the same for 6 months - in fact, it still does do it every now and then now. i put it down to bad maintenance and poor water flow (cyano for example love CO2, poor lighting and high nutrients) How old are your bulbs? If new tank and only 6 months old, Im picking you should be ok. The wavelength of the lighting that you provide determines what form of Cyanobacteria will grow in the tank. Keep the wavelengths that particularly promote blue-green algae growth low and you will have far less problems. What's your photoperiod? Perhaps reduce by a couple of hours a day? (not off completely for a few days which i read is a common mistake - as the algae dies off, causing more nutrients which, when you turn the lights on again, feeds the new algae and you end up in a worse position than when you started!) all in all, you just need to get nutrients down (let me know if you find a quick, simple and cost-effective way!!!)

I would not alter photo periods. Keep them the same. If you are not making large changes to the tank all the time, and it is stocked appropriately, these alage phases will pass.

Cyano can be more of a problem mainly because many strains get their nitrogen from N2 gas (dissolved from the air into water), unlike algaes which can not (they use nitrate and other species). So there is always a plentiful supply of nitrogen available to them.

Layton

had same issues.....

may have just been time, they all stopped about 9-12months in.

only change that may have helped is moving to larger NSW changes from salt mix.... (33% per month)

but could also just have been time for cycle to run....

WASP

I moved the phosphate remover into more flow. ie all the return now dumps through it. as opposed to some maybe 20% through it.

I was using it for 2-3 months before this.

Personally I think it was a combination of just time and the larger export of stuff via water changes.... I know opinions vary on using NSW, but my experience is that the price of NSW allows you to be more agressive in your changes.

The rock was pretty hairy when i got it, would have taken a while to finish leaching i reckon.

I never panicked about the hair, knew it would go away eventually.