New to keeping fish

emaytiti

Hey guys, im new to the fish side of the forums. I have a aqua one 380 with the following fish:

1 simease fight

2 guppies

2 baby bristlenoses

1 kuhli loach

1 dwarf gourami

3 neon tetras

1 glass cat fish

Is this an alright tank? I did have another gourami a tetra and 2 other guppies and they all disappered? :dunno:

You should probably get some more tetras. They need to be kept in groups of at least 10, but about 15 would be better. The pet shops say that five or six is fine, however from experience I do not agree with this. I'd go with at least 10 for your tank.

Glass cats are a shoaling species and need to be kept in groups of about 10 too, and one on its own isn't going to be very happy, and also your tank is too small for them. I personally would sell the glass cat and get a couple of otocinclus instead.

Also, if you don't already have plants, the fish would appreciate it and it makes them feel more secure and makes the tank look a lot more natural. Ambulia (Limnophila sessiliflora), Java fern (Microsorum pteropus), Java moss (Vesicularia dubyana), dwarf hygrophila (Hygrophila polysperma) and Indian fern (Ceratopteris thalictroides) are a few cheap and commonly available plants that are easy to care for that you should not have trouble growing.

you will also probably run into trouble with the guppies and the fighter and possible the dwarf gourami and fighter as well.

your bristlenose will eventually outgrow the tank.

I would personally get rid of the glass catfish, bristlenose, guppies and either the dwarf gourami or fighter (keep your favorite)

and get 3 otocinclus catfish and a few more kuhli loaches and neons

• 3 months later...
You should probably get some more tetras. They need to be kept in groups of at least 10, but about 15 would be better. The pet shops say that five or six is fine, however from experience I do not agree with this. I'd go with at least 10 for your tank.

Glass cats are a shoaling species and need to be kept in groups of about 10 too, and one on its own isn't going to be very happy, and also your tank is too small for them. I personally would sell the glass cat and get a couple of otocinclus instead.

Also, if you don't already have plants, the fish would appreciate it and it makes them feel more secure and makes the tank look a lot more natural. Ambulia (Limnophila sessiliflora), Java fern (Microsorum pteropus), Java moss (Vesicularia dubyana), dwarf hygrophila (Hygrophila polysperma) and Indian fern (Ceratopteris thalictroides) are a few cheap and commonly available plants that are easy to care for that you should not have trouble growing.

+1