Keeping Cichlids

markbravo

uhmmm... i know i might not get the answer i want but can i keep the following together

10 electric yellows - all male

5 sunshine peacocks - all male

Albino Pseudotropheus socolofi - male and female pair

and yeah, im worried about having only 1 female out of the whole bunch... and might end up with this >> :digH:

they'll establish a pecking order and any of the sub dominant males will be put in there place by the dominant one. i wouldn't put a female in, like any pub the moment you put a female with all the males trouble starts :wink:

so even electric yellows and peacocks would be sub dominant even if they arent the same breed?

I find in my tanks that the species have there own order, then there is a order in the tank it self.

If you add a female with that many males, there will be a lot more fighting, and your female will constintly be getting hounded and harrased, and dont be suprised to find her lifeless in a corner at some point

so even electric yellows and peacocks would be sub dominant even if they arent the same breed?

what will happen is the dominant male will want to breed with the female and will chase all other fish away from his breeding area and female, doesn't matter what species.

what will happen is the dominant male will want to breed with the female and will chase all other fish away from his breeding area and female, doesn't matter what species.

wow.. i didnt know a Albino Pseudotropheus socolofi could get a sunshine peacock as a mate... but then in saying it.. when a dominant male pushes everyone else away, it doesnt mean that he would kill them right? and what are the chances that the only female against 16 males wouldnt get killed in any way possible? i think the Albino Pseudotropheus socolofi pair would be the biggest ones in the tank... most of the other males are juvies... or i should just accept the fact that theres just no way i can keep a female in my tank this way? LOL.... and just stick with all males... :slfg:

There is a chance that the dom male will kill other males, and there is a chance that your female will die, most m/f ratio is 1m to 3 f but often more females is better. I have had 3 males bumblebees to 7 females and still had the dom male kill rivals

uhmm.. is this a common event or a rare thing? lol