Another week, another set of questions

Munkii

Hi Everyone :wave:

The glosso and hair grass in my small tank is growing steadily, but not super fast. Have increased the ferts dosing up to the values recommended on the bottles (was using a half dose before). Other changes this week:

• Removed stock hood
  • Added two 9w lights (18w on a 5g tank)
  • Added Aquaclear 200 filter
  • Added 50w heater set to 20 deg
  • Added two smaller rocks

ga4wN.jpg

I sold a bunch of the Twisted Val from my main tank so I moved things around a bit. This tank had a tendency to get green water, so in the last two weeks I have been dosing ferts in an effort to stop this. This has made the twisted val grow a lot, but the algae has increased also :(

w36PU.jpg

Since dosing ferts in this tank the gradual tend to towards green water seems to be about the same, but the green spot algae on the glass has been growing a lot more. I am hoping some of you guys can give me some suggestions as to what I should try next. Some of my ideas are:

• Keep curtains shut during the day (tank is not in direct light, but the room does get a lot of sun light)
  • Reduce the lighting (currently on 9h per day). The problem with going less is that I like to have the light on in the morning when I feed them and also in the evening when I am relaxing
  • Increase fert dosing. It's a 35g tank, and I have been dosing 5mL of Excel each weekend and 1mL of Flourish comprehensive daily
  • Get a bigger variety of plants (currently it's almost all twisted val only)
  • Do bigger water changes. I normally do a 15% change each week, so maybe ferts are building up each week?

What do you experts recon? :smln:

I would be shutting the curtains as a starting point. There are few tanks that are happy with more than about 8-10 hours of lighting a day. 6 is probably a good place to reduce it to. Maybe you could turn the lights on when you get home and feed them in the evening, that way you get to enjoy them?

I would consider doing larger water changes too. I usually do a 50% change every week in my tank, and I don't even have any bioload other than snails in it right now.

I think my approach would be to reduce the lighting to 4 or 6 hours for a week or so, and do a few, big water changes. You might find that clears everything up.