Lmsmith's Fluval Edge

lmsmith

I can't really see what you are referring to in the photo above. You could try increasing the surface agitation. I wouldn't be to worried though. There are all sorts of things that happen in a tank and most are pretty harmless as long as your water conditions and husbandry are good. :thup:

One thing to keep in mind with a new planted tank is the volume of plants that you have. If you have a densely planted tank with plants that have been well established for some time, they will establish equilibrium and not require much in the way of extra care/special lights/fertilisers/CO2. If you have just planted, replanted, trimmed heavily or changed your lighting/fertiliser dosing, then your plants may not be growing optimally and that is when algae can take hold. The best solution is to either plant very heavily at the start, or initially go slow and bring your doing/lights/carbon up at the same rate as your plant growth.

the white dots look like eggs sort of. They're definitely attached to the plant, nothing that surface agitation will get rid of. I wonder if they're some sort of way these guys reproduce?

I planted pretty heavily from the get-go. I've got a tiny bit of film algae on the glass, but the tank has been set up for a few months without me even cleaning the glass, so I think it's doing well!

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty! My indian fern has got all bushy which is awesome!

Also, everything's growing pretty well. My grass is nicely filling out (and getting a bit tall, should I just trim it?)

My ambulia is growing at funny angles, but BOY it grows fast. I swear there are some days I get home and it's grown a good cm!

I've stopped using flourish excel (for no reason other than I'm lazy, I'll do a water change tonight or tomorrow and start using it again) but the plants are still growing really fast.

I've had no issues with algae and I'm not really sure why. I think I've cleaned the glass once since I got the tank set up about 4 months ago.

I'll update with a FTS when I get home :)

• 3 months later...

Today I finally got my dwarf puffers. They're in the tank with 2 bumblebee gobies and 2 ottos. I'm hoping that they might be fine in there without turf wars because there's lots of hiding spaces, but if not, I have an alternative tank for the gobies.

BFdamlfCQAEWkZB.jpg

BFd7CvsCQAEq8UH.jpg

BFeKJbcCMAAl9DG.jpg

The plants are going wild. I've decided I need to prune everything a bit and replant. I'm thinking of moving the driftwood to one corner and putting more plants in the middle, but I'm a bit concerned about freaking the fish out in such a small tank.

I definitely love the overgrown look, but I'm finding sometimes the fish are getting a bit squished between plants.