Blue tongue skink does not like UV light tube?

herperjosh

I have been noticing something strange with my blue tongue. He becomes active as soon as his UV light turns off, his heat lamp still is on when it turns off so the temperature does not change. I was wondering is he sensitive to light and does not like it? I know its not temperature related and his UV light is 30cm away from him so that brings me to my question, should my blue tongue have a less bright light etc?

my one does the same, i also have a long tube UV.

i appreciate that they are active during twilight.

does this mean i can have the UV bulb on for much shorter periods during the day?

usually he hides the whole time it's on.. seems a waste of power.

if he needs UV, and the light is only on for say two hours a day, will he come out when it's on to gain the UV he needs?

have watched the resident bluetongue living in a friends rock wall in brisbane,every morning as soon as the sun reachs `his` rock,there he is soaking it up,depending on time of year and strength of the sun how long he sits there before tootling off to do his stuff?

have watched the resident bluetongue living in a friends rock wall in brisbane,every morning as soon as the sun reachs `his` rock,there he is soaking it up,depending on time of year and strength of the sun how long he sits there before tootling off to do his stuff?

resident blue tongue... that's so cool.

see that's what i always thought, they would do a bit of basking in direct sunlight, and then spend the rest of their day looking for food, or if in captive, being a lazy lizard under a rock or covered in bark.

i have my heat lamp on all day, and i think that i could get away with only having the power thirsty UV light on from 8am till lunchtime. it would sure save some $$ on the power bill.

(usually i don't run the UV through summer anyway because he spends enough time in his outside pen)