Oase Filtral 5000 UV pond pump - advice needed please

aquaplod

Hi I am building a pond and have bought a Oase Filtral 5000 pump and filter all in one on trademe In "working" order. Unfortunately the UV 11wt lamp and the quartz sleeve were broken. When I plug it in the pump works but obviously the water goes through where the UV lamp should be and once under pressure it flicks the RCD on our house. What I want to know, if any of you are electrical buffs is if I get a new lamp and sleeve should it go ok? The replacement lamp and sleeve I estimate in being about $200, which if it all works is a cheap unit as it retails for $699 and I paid $41.

Another issue I have is that I have a waterfall and until I get it fixed I won't know if it is powerful enough for my set up. Any advice appreciated or if anyone is interested in buying it for what I paid they could get a very cheap good quality pump $240, I just really can't afford to buy the bits to find out it wont do what I need.

for the Water fall what is the pump and what is the max height of the waterfall feature?? pumps normally only need a new impeller.

dding the canister inline does have a slight affect on the flow rates, but as long as you run larger piping i.e. 32mm it shouldn't be too noticeable.

For the filter, I have exactly that problem with one I have, I have just removed the bulb and plugged it full of silicone to prevent it leaking. the UV system is a bit shoddy in these anyways.

If you do replace the sleeve make sure the electrics aint corroded, as it will make it pointless, and its cheaper anyways to buy an inline UV clarifier. plus the inline ones are a lot more effective as they tend to have higher contact time.

PM me if you need any parts etc as I think I have a couple of oldies floating around work.

Thanks, the pump is only 1100 ltrs/hour the waterfall is a big one 3 level, I really think it is too small, the waterfall runs 25mm piping. I bought a new 3600ltr pump from the garden centre in Tauranga that sells on trademe but it is a bit too fast, I anticipated buying a canister filter from there too and thats why I got the big pump but can't really afford it right now. Not sure the neighbours will be thrilled with the sound of gushing water lol.

its the max head height that is important, work out the highest point that the water has to pump to (useful diagramwaterf4.gif

and there should be a graph on the pump box similar to this Pump-Graph-web.jpg

btw for a medium sized water fall 3600Lph is actually not that much, especially with the flow rate decreased by the H/Max

sorry was getting confused with the model names, go a couple of those at work too :P

the filtral 5000 has a hmax of 2.3m, meaning you would probably only want to pump to 1.2-.15m high to get a decent flow rate.

its the max head height that is important, work out the highest point that the water has to pump to (useful diagramwaterf4.gif

and there should be a graph on the pump box similar to this Pump-Graph-web.jpg

btw for a medium sized water fall 3600Lph is actually not that much, especially with the flow rate decreased by the H/Max

sorry was getting confused with the model names, go a couple of those at work too :P

the filtral 5000 has a hmax of 2.3m, meaning you would probably only want to pump to 1.2-.15m high to get a decent flow rate.

Hi thanks for your help, I have measured the height from the water level to the top of the falls and it is only 1mtr this is the link to stone and water worlds site which shows the setup I have,http://www.stoneworld.co.nz/wawcs0112251/Water-Features.html#197

It is the large paradise, I got it second hand off trademe. I have put my 3600ltr pump on to it and the flow is quite fast and nice but it does splash over the side a bit which I am worried will slowly empty the pond. Installing a pressurised filter will slow the flow which was the original plan. Not sure about bothering with the UV type, my last pond had a uv and it didn't keep the algae away, only a bag of barley straw cleared it. My previous pond was about 8 times size of this one though.

lol, almost bought that to sell to my bosses :P That was the full 3 piece setup wasn't it??

yeah that is a little over rated for that setup., you can add a tap into the system for the short term, doesn't worry the pump if its slightly held back. if your last pond had UV was the bulb fresh???? the difference between a 6 month old bulb and a new setup is quite amazing really, and if barley straw cleared it then the UV should have done it heaps easier.

justa quick point you know the paradise set is not really suitable for fish unless you replace the bottom pond.

lol, almost bought that to sell to my bosses :P That was the full 3 piece setup wasn't it??

yeah that is a little over rated for that setup., you can add a tap into the system for the short term, doesn't worry the pump if its slightly held back. if your last pond had UV was the bulb fresh???? the difference between a 6 month old bulb and a new setup is quite amazing really, and if barley straw cleared it then the UV should have done it heaps easier.

justa quick point you know the paradise set is not really suitable for fish unless you replace the bottom pond.

Ok so why is it not suitable for fish? apart from size which is why I planned on getting a filter. Unfortunately our section in Stanmore Bay is clay on slope and not suitable for a big pond. I was only thinking of 2 or 3 fancy moores or shubunkins as they are slow growing.

I have just tried a 9wt uv lamp out of my aquarium filter in the Oase filter and it light up so I guess I will be able to fix that filter. If it is too small I guess I can sell it once it is all good. I am also looking at getting an aquamax 2000 that is on trademe. I may just put waterlily in it yet. I do have 600ltr tank inside so I don't need the fish lol. Also I mite just be feeding the seagulls.

Ok so why is it not suitable for fish? apart from size which is why I planned on getting a filter. Unfortunately our section in Stanmore Bay is clay on slope and not suitable for a big pond. I was only thinking of 2 or 3 fancy moores or shubunkins as they are slow growing.

I have just tried a 9wt uv lamp out of my aquarium filter in the Oase filter and it light up so I guess I will be able to fix that filter. If it is too small I guess I can sell it once it is all good. I am also looking at getting an aquamax 2000 that is on trademe. I may just put waterlily in it yet. I do have 600ltr tank inside so I don't need the fish lol. Also I mite just be feeding the seagulls.

And yes it is the full 3 tier setup. My friend actually got it from Papakura but then decided it wasn't what she wanted, so I bought it off her. My last pond was a liner one with schist surround and a bridge it was awesome, but that is in Feilding.

Do you have ponds?

we manufacture plastic ponds on site, have a big range, check out Gardenpools.co.nz (new website up soon i think) as well as stocking a heap of stuf from stone and water world

you really need 75L per fish minimum and around 30-40cm deep so around 300L would be ok for 2-3 fish max but take into account the pump size and planting container size you're pushing the comfort levels.

a waterlily won't grow well with the amount of water movement in there, plus even the minatures will cover an area twice that size when growing well (plus the basket will take up valuable fish room)

try something like Irises, Blue Hygro, or Japanese rush. with a few marginals going over the sides.

good pond for a swarm of golden mountain minnows though, would look awesome and they would love to play in the current.

plus Moors are not the best choice for outdoor ponds as they get picked off by predators easily (no upwards vision)

and Shubunkins are not slow growing as they are just a multi coloured version of a comet, i.e. very fast and genetically very strong.

we manufacture plastic ponds on site, have a big range, check out Gardenpools.co.nz (new website up soon i think) as well as stocking a heap of stuf from stone and water world

you really need 75L per fish minimum and around 30-40cm deep so around 300L would be ok for 2-3 fish max but take into account the pump size and planting container size you're pushing the comfort levels.

a waterlily won't grow well with the amount of water movement in there, plus even the minatures will cover an area twice that size when growing well (plus the basket will take up valuable fish room)

try something like Irises, Blue Hygro, or Japanese rush. with a few marginals going over the sides.

good pond for a swarm of golden mountain minnows though, would look awesome and they would love to play in the current.

plus Moors are not the best choice for outdoor ponds as they get picked off by predators easily (no upwards vision)

and Shubunkins are not slow growing as they are just a multi coloured version of a comet, i.e. very fast and genetically very strong.

Cool thanks for the advice, I was thinking about the mountain minnows and yes I did wonder about the flow with a water lily. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Cheers