GLUEING CORALS

jetskisteve

Just for anybody that didnt already know.

If you need to glue rocks together,frags to rocks or glass etc

Buy yourself some AQUA KNEAD IT by selleys the best place to buy it is REEFS favorite store ...The warehouse Its only $12.50 for a large tube.

Totally reef safe, been used for years by most of us :D

Just tryin to help any newbies

That’s a joke, more like trying to steer hobbyist away from fish shops.

Steve looked at the commercial forum which advised a new product from Tunze to glue coral and then posted a stupid post .

You are so predictable.

Ok, Reef, how much is Tunze's version of aquaknead it? Since the stuff from the warehouse is $12.50 I'd estimate a similar amount of the tunze stuff is what? $50? Sure it works at least as well as aqua knead it....

Is it purple? Thats the one problem that I have with the aquakneedit, its an off white colour and can stick out for quite some time. I belive some of the others (aquamedic?) are purple which stealths into the tank better.

Phosphate based stabilisers are often used in those type of epoxies.

:o If this is true, do the release into the water? I doubt there would be ANY negitive effect at all. Based on my experance, there isn't.

Piemania

:o If this is true, do the release into the water? I doubt there would be ANY negitive effect at all. Based on my experance, there isn't.

I don't know. They do from PVC. (maybe that's why coralline is attracted to PVC).

But if you are paranoid about phosphate, every little bit adds up I suppose.

While PVC contains phosphate, it has only been theorised, but never prooved, that the phosphate will leach into a tank.

IMO PVC is quite stable and can be used safely, but I would personally not use it in a situation where it is exposed to strong light. That's just my own opinion, based from the way old PVC may show deterioration where it has been in the sun for many years. But dig some old PVC out of the ground where it has been in the dark, it will still be good shape, even after many years.

While PVC contains phosphate, it has only been theorised, but never prooved, that the phosphate will leach into a tank.

I've read a paper which shows otherwise. It was looking at whether the phosphate stabilisers used in various plastics leached in a marine environment. The answer was yes they do. But no, i'm not about to rip out every bit of plastic from my tank.

Who knows if these epoxies even use phosphate stabilisers.

Oh well if a properly done paper says so, then I will concede you are correct.

Once you have shown me the paper of course, otherwise I would have to regard it as second hand hearsay. I don't know what you may have or may not have read.

I was trying to find it to link to, (I thought I had bookmarked it, thinking it could come in handy one day) but I can't find it.

If you don't believe it exists, so be it. I know what I read, and i'm quite satisfied with it's validity at the moment.

Layton

But Layton I did not say the paper does not exist, it may exist, I was kind of hoping you still had it.

I actually sympathise I've been caught unable to reference stuff myself.

I don't automatically disbelieve everything you say, just seeing the paper would have cleared it up for me. If you come across it I'll be happy to see it.