Inevitable!

Bay7

Yep, it happened.

My Betta of three weeks decided to jump out of his Chi aquarium &c:ry

Lots of advice telling me they jump but after seeing him happily swim around and no sign of jumping I thought nothing of it.....gutted!

Not sure how long he was out of the water (may be half-hour, may be an hour, may be longer?) but he looked in a pretty bad way when I found him. He's a light-white/pinkish colour, with light-blue fins but I'm sure I could see little pinkish bloodstains on him around the gills and down the veins in his tail.

I put him in a little spare tank with around 6" of salt treated water. By the look of him and inactivity I really didnt think he would make it. He was just laying half sideways on the bottom gasping. Well it's been 24 hours now, and although he looks like he's done 10 rounds with Tyson, he is showing signs of activity and responsiveness. He's swimming around but rests quite a bit and he has taken a couple of tiny pellets. He now comes back up to the front to greet me again.

His fins now have dark red (dried blood) at the end of all of them but I'm hoping we're over the worst??

Any further advice on how to help him would be much appreciated.

I feel really guilty as I had been warned and now he is paying for my mistake :facepalm:

Two new lids on thier way from UK as we speak (cant find the lids for the Chi over here) and a temp roof while we wait.

So my newbie advice to other newbie Batta keepers is.........ONE DAY YOUR BETTA WILL JUMP!

It may not be completely out of his tank but be warned.

It's in their nature to jump .. as they move from puddle to puddle looking for better conditions. And their labyrinth organ helps them survive out of water. So, sounds like he'll be fine if he has survived so far. Just keep the water clean in case his immune system has had a bit of a stress.

he should recover, much of his fins will fall off though.

Salt is a good help in these situations but a good dose of stresscoat works wonders as well, the aim is to replace the slime layer.

I have seen fish survive when they looked completely dried out so good luck to you.