is this a flower horn ?

snookie

Definitely NOT imo. they were imported as flower horns but with Midas/rd features. the differences from locally breed Midas are they turned into orangish colour when they get to big size and with black marks, when the local breed ones are red/orange with white marks which I will consider as Vitiligo Symptom, as well as getting less chance of growing as big forehead as local ones.

I had one before and have been told they are fhs, when bought, it was about 12cm but still in original birth-marks ( grey/brown shedded stripes)

Looks like the things HFF albany had as "flowerhorns" a while back. Back then, to me they looked more like a midas/devil that hadn't peeled yet but more laterally compressed and with a pinkish throat. I bought one and found it peeled mush later than the locally bred mi-devils I got from Jack, and was a far more uniform orange colour but still with the pink throat when larger, and also still more compressed looking with a pointier head and no sign of a nuchal hump forming. I posted something on MFK but didn't have good pics and couldn't really get a positive ID anyway (so hard to do with Amphilophus of the midas/devil complex!), so at best I'd say Amphilophus Sp. That one appears a bit more yellow than mine, but given the variance with colour in that group of fish it still seems likely that they're the same thing.

why do HFF sell something that they are not sure what it is?

who ever the exporter in this or which local breeder is selling this is totaly missleading!

I think its a male trimac type FH x with female RD= nothing less than RD!

still carried alot of RD genes in F1 but not black bar showing.

Anyway its going to turn into a non kok RD fish, but nice red colour thou!

who ever the exporter in this or which local breeder is selling this is totaly missleading!

It can be hard to put a name to hybrids, another great reason not to cross breed.

I'm guessing HFF stick to what the wholesalers call the fish 99% of the time to try avoid situations like this where the identity of the fish is unknown. (Would also help them plead ignorance if the importers should happen to get something in that has been misnamed at the farm in asia and isn't actually on the list).

There are other members of the red devil complex than midas and red devil (citrinellus and labiatus), have a look at this pic of A. zaliosus, I think it has a fairly similar shape;

img_29_846af30797.jpg

I still think its either a mixed Amphilophus or a species we aren't familiar with, don't think there's any flowerhors (or trimac) in there.

It can be hard to put a name to hybrids, another great reason not to cross breed.

Disagree! A responsible crossbreeder would sell a true masterpiece and it proper ID mixed"

A cowboy would flick off anything they breed just to cash up"

Try it out you might find it very interesting in cross breeding"

Think of the exciting challenge, way more excitement than breeding purity! :gigl: