higher kelvin

chimera

The same could be said for 13k/14k/16k. Looks like 10k is 'real', 20k is real. But the 'blueness' of a bulb has nothing to do with the actual kelvin rating. 20k Radiums are no where near as blue as 14k arcadias (or at leat the ones I have).

Pie

yeah the guy at radium says he doesnt like to call them 20k's as its not a valid kelvin rating for them hence why they're just called "blues". he says people call them 20k's coz that is the closest kelvin rating they can guesstimate based on colour emitted. different brands vary greatly. all down to personal taste i guess

i was just intrigued that iwasaki had 50k bulbs, couldnt imagine how they can get any "bluer/whiter" than 20k's. marketing? i have read alot that iwasaki 250W 6.5k's and 10k's are the best you can buy (or rather people rate them very highly in regards to their actual kelvin rating being close and longer lasting) or is this just another rumour?

i got sold NARVA 14k's by the guy at radium. happy with them, but i havent see enough tanks in this k range to compare properly.

i have read alot that iwasaki 250W 6.5k's and 10k's are the best you can buy (or rather people rate them very highly in regards to their actual kelvin rating being close and longer lasting) or is this just another rumour?

Who knows. There is still a lot of crap you have to wade through in this hobby. With lighting at the moment it really does come down to trying different options until you find what you like.

My last change of bulbs I got 20k CoralVue's, personally I'm not happy with them. They looked nice but coral colours are crap at the moment. I swapped one out with one of the old Venture 10k bulbs I had, and things are starting to colour up well down that end of the tank. Funnily enough the light colour difference is not noticeable from one end of the tank to another. I might try Radium "blues" next.

Layton

Wrong. They are marketed by Osram/Radium as 20,000 kelvin 'crisp blue hue'. The kelvin rating is stamped on the box for all too see.

They might have 20k stamped on them but they are not 20k. just marketing for the aquarium trade. The specs from radium also dont say thay are 20k, just blue.

Layton, I heard that Coralvue were chinese made and werent that highly rated can you cofirm this? Sorry if I'm wrong.

Don't know, but you'd be surprised what is made in China these days. The only issue I had heard previously about the 400W 20k's bulbs in particular, was that one of the initial batches of them would not fire. Coralvue apparently replaced these bulbs for affected people.

Their other bulbs may be different, but personally I wouldn't buy the 20k's again.

Layton

They might have 20k stamped on them but they are not 20k. just marketing for the aquarium trade. The specs from radium also dont say thay are 20k, just blue.

Then why do the specs on the RADIUM packaging say they are 20k? I had a quick search around the net, everyone who sells them calls them 20k and all the tests (like advanced aquairust) call them 20k.

They must have kelvin rating, according to what they say (on there packaging, can't find a Radium web site) and what everyone else says they are 20k.

So if they are not 20k what is the correct kelvin rating, can't be 0 kelvins (unless they are off).

Pie

Metal halide lamps of the same kind are different colors?

Metal halide lamps operate by passing an electric arc through an arc tube that excites particles in the arc tube. When the metal particles reach an excited state they emit energy in the form of visible light. It takes 100 hours of operation before the metal particles stabilize and become a consistent color. All metal halides require 100 hours of operation before color and light output stabilize. All metal halides inherently have a slight color variation between individual lamps.

Radium website, halide's for aquarium use:

http://www.radium.de/e/produkte_overview.html?pe_id=14&pcon_list=1854,1855,2498,2569

As I said earlier in my post, when speaking to guy at Radium, I mentioned Radium 20k's and he said, no, they are Radium Blues - but 20k is the closest measurable kelvin rating we can give them.

I guess they dont like to call them "20k's" because they vary from that rating between individual bulbs. I have also heard it becomes more and more difficult to 'K' rate bulbs over 10k?