rector + kalk

skuzza

what did they say the point of doing it was? (no sarcasm, serious question) If just to raise alk, why not just add to your topup water like everyone else?! to me it makes more sense running calcium reactor during day then top up with kalk at night. basing that on logic rather than theory.

To me this makes no sense.

With a calcium reactor, you are dropping the pH in the reactor by adding carbon dioxide in order to dissolve calcium carbonate, to add alkalinity and calcium.

The pH of kalk solution is around 12, so why would you add this to a calcium reactor where you are trying to drop the pH to around 6? All that will happen is the kalk will precipitate out as calcium carbonate (due to dissolved CO2 shifting equilibrium).

Seems pointless to me. Maybe there is another reason?

Layton

Unless they're using the calcium reactor as a kalk reactor. I mean not putting any of the usual calcium media into it and just using it to dose kalk. That makes some sense, but then it seems like using the most expensive way possible to do something that's cheap and easy.