gold Axolotls

rampage

hi guys/girls

im new to fish keeping but looking to start an Axolotl tank , i currently have a 100L goldfish tank running with black moors , Calico Fans and some other fantail type unsure exactly what it is , anyhow i got the goldfish with the intention of adding axolotls later then did some research and found i cant have them both in the same tank so i got a second tank its around 150L ,

so what do i need for axolotls ?? i read that a filter is a bad idea , is this true ?? do they need an air pump ?? plants ?? lights??

sorry if questions sound dumb but as i said im new to fish keeping and want to do i right the first time

thanx for any help

Filter is an excellent Idea, only thing you need to think about is keeping the current as low as possible.

Air pump is not really neccesary and can cause too much current.

lights not essential, plants only if youi are using a very fine substrate

Its best to keep Axo's on a bottom that they cannot swallow, either bare glass, or with larger stones that are around 30-40mm round

check out http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm

really good site for you

Filter is an excellent Idea, only thing you need to think about is keeping the current as low as possible.

Air pump is not really neccesary and can cause too much current.

lights not essential, plants only if youi are using a very fine substrate

Its best to keep Axo's on a bottom that they cannot swallow, either bare glass, or with larger stones that are around 30-40mm round

check out http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm

really good site for you

thanx heaps for that very helpfull

• 2 weeks later...

Yep I have two axolotls in separate tanks. Both have filters with low current. I don't use gravel because they can eat it and get blockages. I have larger smooth pebbles that are way too big for them to swallow. I'm planning to get some black or white silica sand for the tanks so the pebbles aren't being moved around on the bottom because all I hear is clank clank lol They don't need air pumps because they are cold water. Some people only fill their tank about 1/3-1/2 full and others fill them as normal. I prefer as normal because I like seeing my axolotls swimming around. They seem to love swimming around and it makes them work harder to get to the top when they want to.... I got one of them from a friend and she only had the tank filled about half way and I never once saw the axolotl swimming in the tank at her house... it just lay around at the bottom. It is so active now.