Building a hood help

Duncan7

Hi all, thinking of building a hood for my 6' tank...

Now the tank is located in my very uninsulated garage so thinking ill line the top inside of the hood with poly to save heat? Will this even work? Should i have the hood open at the back? I was going to board/seal off the back and just holesaw a few holes to get the light plugs in so that heat is retained.

So that leads me to the next thing, if it is relatively closed in, with only a few small holes for plugs, will there be condensation forming on the roof of the hood... im guessing yes. Assuming i use dressed untreated pine that will be painted will this resist the moisture and last a good number of years?

Previous hood i had was pretty open at the back....

opinions please

use a fine mesh so air can circulate, place it around the base of the hood to allow air in and out without loosing the warmest air.

use a good quality waterproof paint to prevent any damage to wood in the long term.

Sweet thanks for that, will leave a space at the bottom of the hood for the air to circulate.

Just got a huge pail of white ?house undercoat in the shed, ill check its suitable, then whack a few heavy coats on if it is :D