Leopard gecko enclosures

Jason22

Am in the process of building a leopard gecko enclosures. will post pics soon

-there are 3 enclosures all built into one rack (so 3 high). they measure 900Lx450Dx400H. all made of ply with sliding doors.

-the floors will be tiled

-lighting will be done with LED's to prevent over heating (day,dawn/dusk,night)

-will be in my reptile room so doesn't really get colder than 17 degrees

my Question is what is the best way to heat them, i don't really want to use a thermostat, maybe a dimmer.

am leaning towards a heat pad under the tiles at one end, but don't know what brand, Wattage to get

thanks for the feedback. so know one really uses them heat mat covering 1/3 of the enclosure. would i need to put a thermostat in each enclosure or just the middle one??.

I am very keen to use tiles for there look, easy to clean and the heat absorption.

Here a pic of it so far, finished the finishing lines. just need to get the tracks and perspex or glass. tracks will sit on the 40x18mm (behind the 60x10) so you wont be-able to see them.

am going to varnish the whole thing.

you may not be-able to see but there is mesh in that strip at the top of each enclosure.

IMG_8923.jpg

I don't know about heat mats as I have not used them but with ceramics you will find that if you put them all at the same end quite a bit of heat will be picked up from the units below and you will probably need to put the hides at the other end to avoid overheating so a thermostat is a must I think. I have used the ReptaProbe ones but have since found WILLHI ones on trademe which are about half the price and probably as good. They need to be hard wired instead of plug in though.

cheers

will put them all on thermostats not worth doing it halfassing it.

Have got a few 100w ceramics.

i have found there's good, use them in my other enclosures and locusts boxes and have not burnt out after 2 years of 24/7 running http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =506643818

think thermostats will work ok, plug should work if not will re-wire

• 2 weeks later...
or just rig up a small CPU fan to keep circulation going and put thermo in an out of the way spot

the room already has a large heat transfer fan so. there is already heaps of air movement.

would a small fan inside the enclosure effect the temp gradient, by blowing all the hot air down the cool end ?????

I have a very accurate and responsive digital thermometer that I find handy. Your enclosures are big enough that you will be able to get a range of temperatures in each enclosure and the lizards have more sense than us so they will go where it is best for them.

Thanks.

i have some digital thermometer, so have been keeping an eye on the setups over the weekend.

I have some of these on my locusts tanks, you can get them for around $13 off ebay free shipping, same ones.

Thanks might look into that next time. have never used thermostats on locusts, don't even use thermometers any more :slfg:

if they are all in a pile under the light, they are to cold. if the are all in the corners, too hot.